Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message windows appear on terminal server instead of RDP client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVStevenson

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
US
I am fairly new to the use of Terminal Server, and am having a 2 strange problems. They both involve status or confirmation windows popping up on the terminal server's local screen rather than the users client machine.

The server is a windows 2003 box with terminal services. The client is using RDP to form a remote desktop connection. This occurs on both windows and linux based client machines.

Problem #1: My laser printer has a status monitor window that pops up with print job information whenever a job is sent to the printer. When a client prints to the selected printer, the document prints but the monitor window pops up on the terminal server's local screen rather than the client machine's screen. This is a minor inconvenience but is probably related somehow to #2.

Problem #2: I use Avanquest Check Designer which creates a virtual printer to allow me to print checks from QuickBooks that include the check information such as the MICR line that QuickBooks will not print. Each time a print job is sent to the virtual printer, a box pops up so you can enter the starting check number for the Check Designer program. This entry box is popping up on the server rather than the client. This is a major problem as I can't be running to the server every time someone in accounting prints a check.

Any insight into this behavior would be greatly appreciated! I sure hope there is a way around this.

Thanks,

Ryan V. Stevenson
Specialty Services Director

National Support Network
East Lansing, MI - USA

Ryan@itpayz.com

Which "experience" are the clients using to connect? I think the clients need to connect at a "higher" experience than Modem to get the popups.

The clients are on the same physical 100 mbps network.

Thanks,

Ryan V. Stevenson

National Support Network
East Lansing, MI - USA

Ryan@itpayz.com

That is not the question I asked. When connecting with RDP, you have an "options" button. After clicking it, you will be given 5 tabs (general, display, local resources, programs, and experience). Look at the "Experience" tab, and try to connect with a higher than modem connection, and see if the popups come to the client or not.

On a Linux box, the RDP client does not have this option.

On a Windows box, this option is set to LAN, and the problem exists.

Thanks,

Ryan V. Stevenson

National Support Network
East Lansing, MI - USA

Ryan@itpayz.com

I would be willing to bet this is a limitation of the software. Ive seen this before, the software probably isnt "Terminal Server Aware" so to speak. When the pop pops up it doesnt know to check what session to send it to it just pops up on the console. You could try logging off the console but i doubt that will help. I would call one of the companies or search their website for info on TS support, they probably dont support it.

RoadKi11

I'm going to go with Roadki11 on this one. Do you know if the company that made this "check printing" software made the software "Terminal Server Aware"?

Yep, I agree.

If that laser printer is a local printer to the workstation that's connecting, then that printer should not be installed on the TS box. Only the driver should be added. There is a difference.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

I disagree. All software doesn't need to be TS aware unless it uses particular APIs that make it a requirement (e.g. BltBlk API takes screenshots of the console if asked - and is session unaware unless programatically asked).

Some dodgy printers, usually aimed at home use, will come up with the popups indicating a page is being printed - Canon and Lexmark for example - some HPs are now doing this too.

Given you can't run QuickBooks on the Terminal server (as it requires unrestricted, administrative access), I don't know how the server comes into it. When you print from QuickBooks, what is the location of the printer, and what is its setup (i.e. Local, Local Port, IP, Network)? This will help to diagnose - currently there isn't enough posted information to deterine the cause.

You can run QuickBooks on TS up to and including 2005. It just takes a little effort to get it to work right.

Apps need to be TS aware for several reasons, not the least of which is vendor support; multiple user resource issues, etc.

Nearly every printer can be used in TS with a little effort, including those all-in-one USB boxes designed for home use. The printer should NOT be installed on the box, but the drivers need to be added under the drivers section.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

The reason I believe this "program" needs to be Terminal Server Aware is stated in this paragraph:

RVStevenson said:
Problem #2: I use Avanquest Check Designer which creates a virtual printer to allow me to print checks from QuickBooks that include the check information such as the MICR line that QuickBooks will not print. Each time a print job is sent to the virtual printer, a box pops up so you can enter the starting check number for the Check Designer program. This entry box is popping up on the server rather than the client. This is a major problem as I can't be running to the server every time someone in accounting prints a check.

I would venture to say that this Avanquest software is not set up to be TS aware, as it seems this software is used more for home/one PC type setup (Check Designer by Avanquest is an earlier version of Checksoft 2007). If you read the product info on this particular program, it really doesn't say anything about a "virtual" printer.

58sniper said:
You can run QuickBooks on TS up to and including 2005.

You can also run QB 2006 on terminal services. I'm just about to try 2007. Quicbooks actually posts the workaround on their web site. It takes about 10 minutes to configure and you must have a 5-user license.

Cheers.

I am running QB 2007 on the TS. Check Designer is the same as Check Soft 2007.

I would guess that it's not terminal server aware, but this gets a little more interesting yet...

I attempted to print a check from a ts client machine while there was no local user active on the TS, and it worked properly by presenting the confirmation box to the ts client user. I then logged in locally on the TS and tried printing again from the client machine. I expected it to stop working but it didn't and it still presented the confirmation box to the client user.

I have not done any further troubleshooting since I got it working, but I fear that the success will be short lived upon a server reboot.

Thanks,

Ryan V. Stevenson

National Support Network
East Lansing, MI - USA

Ryan@itpayz.com

If there is only one user at a time, TS console session can be used.
invoke it by using mstsc /console

Ryan,
This is only a guess, but when you logged in, was it as a user or admin? I'm wondering if being an admin, or a user makes a difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back