Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message Waiting for Soft Ext. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxman

MIS
May 10, 2001
US
Hey guys..

I just setup a dummy hunt-group to ring at all admin phones for a "Helpdesk" group. I had to use a dummy hunt-group which had a coverage path to [point 1 - coverage answer group (our phones), and then point 2 is voicemail for the SOFT extension (a DID line which is also the dummy hunt-group's Helpdesk number)]

Everything works great - phones ring 4 times, then goto voicemail for the Hunt-group. However, I can't seem to get any message-waiting light to come on when someone leaves a message in it. I've tried covering directly to a specific voicemail number for coverage point2, i've tried auto-msg-wt for them, i've tried cov-msg-ret...all don't seem to work.

I believe I can only cover to 2 paths with this setup, so any way I can cover directly to a voicemail after point1 (our coverage answer group) would be great.

Any Ideas? After the coverage answer group in point1, the only thing it will cover to is h10 - which covers again right to voicemail for the DID soft extension..so none of those message-recovery features will work..

Anyone else out there doing this?
I was going to use a pickup-group, or even a hunt-group, but it's imperative that ALL extensions ring when the Helpdesk line is dialed, and it all goes to a single voicemailbox that can have a way of telling us when there are messages in it.

Thanks in advance.

you just need to create a "aut-msg-wt" button on the phones that you would like to see that the number in question has vm. Or if the users phone does not user vm change the vm indicator to the number for the hut group.

Thanks Stug,

Your reply is accurate - but only if the phone is NOT a soft-extension. We can't use the VM indicator because the notofication must be seen on all phones in the answer group...and we need our own personal VM indicators to stay pointing to our own VMboxes.

I thought Aut-Msg-Wt would work as well, but the extension has no hardware assigned to it since it's a dummy hunt-group/extension that immediately covers to our answer group.

Maybe I'm forgetting something as well - should Aut-Msg-Wt work for Soft extensions (no hardware assigned)? I dont think so, but I could be mistaken.

Anybody else have any ideas on how to do this?
Thanks

The reason aut-msg-wt isn't working is that you haven't assigned the members to the hunt-group. You can only see message waiting on a hunt if you are a member. Try this: assign each of your help-desk group to the hunt-group you have assigned without changing the coverage option. Then assign the Aut-msg-Wt button for the hunt-group to each of the phones. Your coverage answer group and voice mail should still work the same because the coverage path preempts the hunt but by having each of the phones in the hunt they will be able to see the message waiting light.

Actually, my previous statement doesn't hold true. Let me tell you what I did:

Set up hunt with no members and w/coverage path to answer-group and then voice mail. Set up mailbox on hunt group extension. Gave phones aut-msg-wt light. Light came on every time. I think I need more information on your setup to help diagnose.

Thanks Maxg,

I entered our members into the hunt-group, but the aut-msg-wt light is still not functioning. After you wrote that, I remembered that I had to enter the Helpdesk group in the hunt, but still think aut-msg-wt wont work for non-assigned numbers. This is confirming my suspicions as well..

Still - excellent tip..i totally forgot about that point. However, still no message-waiting functionality - and im losin hope!
;)

Thanks again guy's..anybody else know of a way to get message-waiting functionality?

Are you using multiple PBXs with the voice mail system?
If so then you can check on the subscriber form in voice mail to see that the right switch number is selected.

Roche

Roche,

Nope - only one site.
I can send print-screens of the config if you need them, but I think something fundamentally is missing. Aut-Msg.Wt works fine for assigned stations that have been TTi'd

Im mot sure I am understanding what you are trying to do but I think it might be similar to what i have done. first question do you have vectoring? and just to be clear you want the calls to ring multiple phones at the same time then go to voicemail? after which point you would like the voicemail light to work on multiple phones? is this correct?

if so I am doing this currently.

let me know José B. Olagues
Telephony Administrator
NACIO Systems

Yup, thats my goal Jose...and I'd love to hear how you're doing it! :p

I'd obviously like to keep it as simple as possible - vectoring would definitely be my last resort, and I wouldn't need any help in that area. I'd also prefer not to have to log into any ACD groups or anything. This is a pretty small operation, and all of us are near each other seating-wise. It's a Definity G3si in a non-EAS environment w/ACD, Vectoring etc. Everything works great except for not being able to get a message-waiting light - the phones all ring, go to voicemail after 4 rings, the number is accessible via DID outside (another MUST-have), and the voicemail works fine. I just cant seem to get a notification light when we have voicemail like I have setup for TTI'd numbers with a definite port(hardware) assignment.

If you have a similar setup - i'd love to hear how you're doing this..
Thanks

I'd like to see your configuration info for the hunt, the stations you want the light on and the mailbox. I'm doing almost exactly what you want on the same switch and it works like a charm. You can send the info to:

maxg@phin.org

DOH! Im such a moron sometimes! :)

I figured it out guys..
The problem was that I was using a virtual digital station instead of an analog station. Once I changed the set-type to analog..all works perfect.

Thanks for all your help with this everybody!

Glad you figured.

José B. Olagues
Telephony Administrator
NACIO Systems

You could have also used a Coverage Answer-Group instead of a hunt group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back