Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message Light stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishhead64

Technical User
Apr 25, 2007
US
NuPoint Unified Messaging Build: 20.6.0.4.0

Message light has worked fine forever and recently stopped working. Messages in two mailboxes lit lights on 3 alternate extensions defined in the mailbox.
Missed call message lights the light, so we know the actual light works.

It just randomly stopped lighting them with no changes on the mailboxes or phones.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Al Feinberg
MiCollab 9.6.0.105-01
Mitel Standard Linux 11.0.99
OVA 9.4.1.8
MiVoice Business Release level: 9.4
NuPoint Unified Messaging Build: 20.6.0.4.01
Revolutions 2022.2.1
MiCC 9.4.2
MiR 7.0.0-16.0
CCMWeb
PowerPlay

NuPoint will only light MWI for the mailbox number, it will turn on MWI for any alternate extensions.

Does your mailbox with alternate extensions defined, use DTMF to PBX message waiting? I think they need to for alternate extensions MWI to be activated too.

MiTAI message waiting would be a normal default to use because it's much quicker.

You can have both set on a mailbox at once:

Message Waiting #1: MiTAI
Message Waiting #2: DTMF to PBX

Thanks, testing DTMF setting now.

Thanks!
Al Feinberg
MiCollab 9.6.0.105-01
OVA 9.4.1.8
Revolutions 2022.2.1
MiCC 9.4.2
MiR 7.0.0-16.0
CCMWeb
PowerPlay

DTMF will only work if you have MWI ports configured. MiTAI is the standard integration, but it really all depends on how your system was set up. I've only every seen DTMF used on really large standalone NuPoint systems, and that was because you can have multiple DTMF channels sending MWI simultaneously, where MiTAI will only light one at a time.

This worked for us!
Thank you!

Thanks!
Al Feinberg
MiCollab 9.6.0.105-01
OVA 9.4.1.8
Revolutions 2022.2.1
MiCC 9.4.2
MiR 7.0.0-16.0
CCMWeb
PowerPlay

Can I ask a bit about the setup?

You say 2 mailboxes light 3 extensions

Are the mailboxes, or either one, associated directly with any of the 3 extensions? (MB DN matches Ext DN)

I ask because using the primary lamp on the phone to indicate a message in either of 2 mailboxes makes no sense to me.

My understanding is they have a nupoint mailbox that has a couple of alternate extensions defined.

When message waiting is activated against the nupoint mailbox with MiTAI messaging, only the primary mailbox lamp is activated.

If you use DTMF to PBX message waiting, it also activates message waiting against any specified alternate extensions.

You can use MiTAI messaging across the board, and add message waiting#2 as DTMF to PBX for mailboxes that need alternate extensions to show messages are waiting in the primary mailbox.

If the mailboxes are not associated with the extensions you can set a key for the Mitai messaging and forget all about alternate extensions.

Advantages:
[ol 1]
[li]Each key can be associated with a specific Mailbox eliminating guessing which mbx has the message[/li]
[li]The extensions can have their primary light assoc with their personal mailbox[/li]
[li]Only Mitai messaging required. No dedicated ports for DTMP to PBX[/li]
[/ol]

techymitel said:
If you use DTMF to PBX message waiting, it also activates message waiting against any specified alternate extensions.

I've never found this to be the case, but I could be wrong. I was always told the only MWI NuPoint will try to light is the mailbox number, and that is straight from senior NuPoint support folks.

The mailboxes aren't extensions, they match the Message Waiting Indication keys on phones.
We do have it set like KWMitel says, although we do have the alternate extensions defined.

Each mailbox has the MWI as the extension in the mailbox with 3 alternate extensions which are the physical phones.
How this once worked without the DTMF to PBX setting in MW2, we have no idea, but it did, adding it fixed it.

Thanks!
Al Feinberg
MiCollab 9.6.0.105-01
OVA 9.4.1.8
Revolutions 2022.2.1
MiCC 9.4.2
MiR 7.0.0-16.0
CCMWeb
PowerPlay