Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message ID not showing hostname

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMRIC

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2003
Hi there,

The problem we are having is that our exchange server is not adding the FQDN after the @ in the message-id field of the header on outgoing mails.

I am wondering where the server pulls the domain name from and what could cause it not to be added?

Any ideas or work arounds would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Ric.

Hi Jamric,

I just cracked this same problem. (Feels so good to solve IT-Problems. Doesn't it?)
The problem was that IP Forwarding was enabled on the Exchange server TCP/IP properties (the 'routing' tab). This caused the servername not showing up in the message-ID header. And this again had the effect that some e-mail recipients could not be reached by the mailserver. That was the problem I started out with.
Hope this will help you to.

ha100, I don't see why that should affect things, and it certainly wasn't the problem in my case. I managed to solve it by adding the FQDN to the hosts file on my server and rebooting - problem solved!

That's what solved the problem for me (for some reason). I came across the same problem today on another server. Tried the same solution. No go. Tried the same solution you used. That did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back