Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message from Win 2000 Server to clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISChana

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
IN
Dear All

I have Win 2000 Server and 10 clinets are attached with this . All clients have XP O.S. Can Anybody tell me how to give message to all clients from this Server machine.

e.g.

Similarly How Can i give message to a particular computer

e.g. To Machine abc

message: Your system in infected with virus. Install Antivirus

etc..
Server has Active directory and users installed and all machines are configured under domain.

regards

Inder

net send
Sends messages to other users, computers, or messaging names on the network.

net help send
will display help about this command and parameters. Or search in Windows Help for net send

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

net send works perfectly for although it uses the Messenger service which is turned off by default in SP2 so you will have to manually enable it if you are going down this road

as has been said, use the net send command - but, if the PC's are on Service Pack 2 - you will need to manually go round each pc, click start > Run and type services.msc.

Scroll down to Messenger Service, go into it's properties, and enable it, with the setting to automatic.

The syntax of the command is, from a command prompt:

net send * please shut down

This will broadcast a message to everybody.

To send to an individual PC, you use the network ID of the machine, so for example, if Joe Bloggs was using PC001 and you wanted to tell him a message, the syntax is:

net send PC001 hello this is a message

thats it :)

Beware though, the Messenger service is thouroughly exploited by Spyware programs so make sure you have decent Anti Spyware - if you don't have any, I would reccommend Microsoft Anti Spyware. I use that in my office, and it can be set to manage itself with minimal user interaction, thus reducing "what does this mean" type questions!

You will probably find however, that several users will ignore such requests...part of the job i suppose!!

oh and just also to point out, you dont have to do it from the server...it can be done from any machine on the workgroup/domain (they must all be on the same workgroup/domain for it to work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back