Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message Filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcck2003

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2003
US
Hi All:

We are using Exchange 5.5 sp4 sitting on a NT4 box sp6a, clients are using Outlook 2000, running Internet mail service

is there a basic built in functionality to prevent SPAM ?

the ones I have digged out are:

we have an option in the InternetMail service ---> Connections tab ---> Message filtering
to enter specific email address but it required you to restart the IMS service every time you add in a new rules

another option is junk mail option from the outlook client that give you the option to store the rule centrally on the server,

the question is, what is a good way to start setting up some basic defense against SPAM with 5.5 or do we have to totally rely on the 3rd party message solftware such as TrendMicro, surfcontrol etc.

Thanks
J

I would also be interested in people's solutions to this problem - otherwise I'm going to have to pay our ISP to do the job.

Unfortunately 3rd party is the only real way to go for Spam on Exchange.

The message filtering in Exchange is a really basic way to block SPAM. If you are looking for a really effective way you will need to purchase 3rd party software.

However, I use message filtering here and have found it fairly reliable. I keep a list of new addresses and then add to the list once a week.

If you are looking for a good list and more on the subject take a look at thread10-203769

mot98
[cheers]
"I'd rather be dead and cool..then alive and uncool."
---Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back