Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message Filtering Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkermms

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2000
US
I have a problem with message filtering. A user or the domain got added to the filtered list, once we noticed that they should not have been added we removed them and worked fine for months. Just installed some hotfix patches from Microsoft and now that user is being blocked again. Checked the message filtering list in Exchange admin and checked in the registery and that user or domain is not listed. Anyone know the fix.

Thanks,
Mark

I've got the same issue, it seems like the only fix to it is rebooting the server with the new filter list settings.

The process looks as follows:
1. add domain to the filter list
2. stop & start IMS - domain is now being filtered
3. remove the domain from the filter list
4. stop & start IMS - domain is still being filtered
5. reboot the server - not filtered any more

This also started happenening after applying some hotfixes and I never resolved this issue, I'm just more careful as to who I add to the list.

Thanks, but I tried that last night. I readded both the individual account and the domain, restarted the ims and then removed them restarted the ims again and restarted the server still not working this morning. Maybe will try this again tonight.

Mark

Back up your filter list and than clear it out through the registry. With the list emtpy reboot the server and see if you're still having problems. If this works you know the problem is with the list itself, if it doesn't, you know you have an issue with the server.

You can backup your list by going to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services/MSExchangeIMC/Parameters/TutfTable
Double click on the value, copy and than delete the contents. Reboot the server to complete the process.

You can quickly populate the list again by going back to the same registry key, paste all the entries and restart IMS.

I think I may have figured this out, correct me if I am wrong. The domain I blocked was @ix.netcom.com and @netcom.com by blocking @netcom.com would this also block the @ix.netcom.com? I discovered the problem last night and removed it and restarted the ims. I had the user send an email, never received it but never got a log message that said it was blocked either, weird uh?

Thanks,
Mark

Indeed it would, seems like after all your server's working fine. If you were to block @co.uk, an email from @email.co.uk will also be blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back