Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message Exits? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2004
US
Has anyone made use of the Message Exits available in EM? I need to create a flat file with the text of everything that hits one of our server's console, and I'm thinknig the exits would be more efficient than trying to echo out the text on every message.

If there's no need to get this in realtime, you could use cautil to dump your logs. We do this hourly to a flat file, then run a script to clean up the output and bcp it into a database for searching and R&D work on our messages...

The syntax is like this:
cautil -s=emhostname select conlog start=(01/22/2004,00:00) end=(01/22/2004,10:32) act=n list conlog output=emhostname-allmsgs-0122.csv

The only gotcha is that the output file will be in $AGENTWORKS_DIR/logs on the em server and not the current directory on the local machine...

Yeah, I've considered doing just that, but I was hoping to provide nearer real-time access to the data.

Hey, using the start and end times like you have, have you ever missed messages or gotten dupes? Or I guess if it was currently 10:33 you could just do it up until 10:32 and pick up the 10:33 and later alerts on the next run...

It seems to be inclusive up to the previous second; if I specify an end time of 10:33:01, I don't actually get any messages that came in during that :01 second. So, on my next pass, I just use the same start time as the previous end time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back