Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message during setup: "You interrupted setup while it was copying..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbl

MIS
Sep 6, 2001
CA
I am installing Windows 98se on a freshly installed FAT32 40gb hard drive on a p2 550 after its prior drive crashed. During the copying of files stage in setup, I started getting this message "You interrupted setup while it was copying Windows files from a Setup (.cab) file (Error #65).
Has anyone else encountered this error?
Thanks for any help.

If you didn't interupt Setup, perhaps you have a malfunction in your hardware that produces the symptoms of a depressed key or something. That could be a worry even if you succesfully load Windows. I have never seen that message and I am only speculating. Try another CDrom drive,if you have one available, it may be a reading problem.Good Luck..............Dave

Well, I tried a fresh install with another windows 98se cd and the installation went fine.
The problem that has since occurred on two occasions after starting windows up is this. I've left the computer running in windows 98, shut off the monitor and gone away for perhaps 45 minutes, then come back and turned the monitor on. Each time there was nothing on screen except a flashing cursor in the upper left corner. It happened a third time, as I was posting this reply, about 16 minutes after rebooting.
The only thing I did not do according to the hard drive manufacturer's instructions is install the 40 pin cable they provided with the hard drive. The hard drive is a western digital (Internal EIDE) and the motherboard is a variety of AMRplus. I still have to install sound and audio drivers. The drive is held inside a removable tray. I've made sure the tray is secure.
Is this a hard drive compatability issue or some other hardware issue? Unfortunately this is someone else's pc that I am trying to fix for them. Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem, wash your cd (disk). I had a speck of dirt stuck to my disk!

Try this:
-Boot with "Boot-Disk" and choose CD-ROM Support
-A:\>C:
-C:\>md win98
-C:\>{CD-ROM letter}:
-X:\>cd win98
-X:\win98>copy *.* c:\win98
-X:\win98>c:
-C:\>cd win98
-<Remove the CD>
-C:\win98>setup /ie /is /nr

&quot;ANTE GEIA&quot;...

Howdy:

Use the new IDE cable.. It may only be 40 pin, but, if the hdd is brand new, it may be 80 wire !!!

Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back