Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message/Attachment limits (Tried everything) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesBoag

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
AU
Hello, I have a 5.5 Exch server(sp4) on NT4.0 platform(sp6a)and the users can not receive external messages with attachments greater than about 2.9 MB. The sender(s) recieve a failure notification stating that

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

name@name.com on 29/07/2002 3:01 PM
This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again.
<server.somewhere.com.au #5.2.3 smtp;450 5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote Host>

I have checked the IMS settings, the MTA settings, and the Private Info Store settings. Everything is either set at &quot;NO LIMITS&quot; or &quot;USE DEFAULT SETTINGS FOR INFO STORE&quot;.

I have double checked everything, and stopped/RE-Started services everywhere.

Any ideas/suggestions will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Try this: Go to the &quot;Connections&quot; object for your site. Open &quot;Internet Mail Service&quot; then, click on the &quot;General&quot; tab and modify the message size limit. Take care not to make it too large as it can &quot;choak&quot; your message delivery queue. Wishing you the best!

Well Thanks guys, I have looked and done everything as suggested. Still no joy. I even removed the NO LIMIT and set it to 9000K just to see if it would have any effect.

What I have done though is enable DIAGNOSTIC LOGGING here and there. Then looking in event viewer (Application log) I can see when a connection is made from the senders IP Address and then another event for when the message is delivered to the mailbox.

When a message with an attachment larger than about 2.9MB gets sent to the server from Outside, I can see the first event in the application log of event viewer (Connection made with x.x.x.x)but there is no other event associated with this.

The only thing I haven't done is reboot the server. Though I have stopped/started every Exchange service.

Still looking for answers

Cheers

If you have an ISP that hosts your mail and your exchange downloads your mail from there, does your ISP have a limit on attachment sizes ?

No the mail goes in direct. I have also checked the mail headers from eachway including the &quot;Bounced&quot; replies.

cheers

Couple things to try:
Run the performance optimizer again,
Recreate the IMS.

Thanks for all the tips. I went through the network and discovered a 3000KB limit on an SMTP policy on the watchguard (Firewall). Just thought I'd mention it now!!

Many thanks to those who posted

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back