Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

message at boot referencing file no longer found by windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

crows27

MIS
Sep 4, 2001
US
During the boot process I'm getting a message saying device file referenced in system.ini or registry is no longer in C:\program files\ * \*

I had uninstalled the program and am now looking for any reference to this particular *.vxd and it's not listed in either the system.ini or registry.

where else can i check ? I've looked around but haven't been able to find this vxd file anywhere.

It is probably a registry link that needs to be deleted. You can download a program called system mechanic for a 30 day trial that will scan your registry for broken links and delete them if you decide to.

I'm not sure of the web address for the program but I'm sure any search engine will get you there. Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Dude,

I know you've said that you searched the registry, but I find it hard to believe it's not referrenced there. Why not have a look at these hives:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, also Run Services, RunOnce, and RunServices Once.

These hives contain most of the executables, and services that run during the boot process.

If all that fails, check the load=, and run= lines in the Win.ini file.

Note: Windows 9x compiles all vxd's into one big one, VMM32.vxd. Subsequent vxd's that are installed, like new sound cards, scanners and such, can also be compiled in by rerunning Windows Setup - of course, sometimes disaster strikes, too! (Be careful if you decide to delete any actual vxd files!)
:)

Tell us what the error says exactly? But let me guess, is it this one?

"Cannot find a device driver file that may be needed to run a windows application. The windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try re-installing that application to replace the missing file."

And then it lists a file name at the end of the error. Tell us what that file is if that indeed is the error.

But it's a vxd file right? See if you see it here. Click start--run--type regedit and click ok. Doubleclick on each of these:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD

After you doubleclick on the VXD key you'll see a long list of keys open underneath. Look on the list for the name of the file referenced in the error and delete it. (It won't show a vxd extension there.) Then close regedit and restart the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back