Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MerlinMail Admin Login Troubles - Something simple? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillusingmerlin

Programmer
Jan 21, 2008
US
Wondering if I'm just missing something simple here...

Got a used r3 mail module and have it installed. I have put the VM ports in a calling group and renumbered the c/g to match a DID extension so I can hopefully do the rest of the setup from offsite.

When I call in to the VM c.g. I get the previous company's "welcome, operator not avail" message. I dial 9997# to try and get to the admin mailbox and the greeting just starts over again. If I try the 6 digit p/w taped to the side of the module I get "cannot transfer to extension" error. Since that prompts for an extension I try 9997# there and get a "system admin not avail" message. I don't get any kind of password prompt.

At this point I try the password again and it seems to do nothing except act like I have only pressed #. No password prompts or menus.

It seems like this vmail follows the typical setup, (9997 is admin, password very simple, etc), so what am I doing wrong? Can I only get the VM admin menus from an internal extension maybe?

Thanks for any guidance anyone could provide.

It does not sound like you have the system programming done correctly. You said you have a voicemail calling group set up. Does that group have as members all of the voicemail ports? Is the hunt type set to linear? Is the Group Type set to Integrated VMI? What happens when you dial the voicemail group extention number? Do you get the "Welcome to Merlin Mail, please enter your extention number and pound sign" greeting? If not - then your system programming is incorrect.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Yes, I added all of the VM ports in order to group 772 (770 and 771 are in use), and changed the hunt type to linear and the group type to integrated vm. I then renumbered the group to have a DID extension.

Today when I got to the office, I tried just dialing the extension internally and got the merlin mail prompt. I was able to login as admin and "guess" the second password by reversing the first one used.

So it looks like you cannot admin the system remotely? Maybe there is a toll fraud setting that prevents this?

Also, one other question:
This VM is obviously already setup with greetings and mailboxes for the previous owner. Is there an easy way to clear all of that out and reset to the defaults? Or I do I just have to delete the mailboxes one by one and recheck all of the system parameters?

There is no "easy" way to reset the Merli Mail to factory defaults. To do so - you would need to connect via serial cable from a PC's com1 port to the 9-pin serial port on the Merlin Mail (using a null modem - either a null modem 9-pin serial cable or placing a null modem inbetween the connection). Then you could use Hyperterminal to connect with settings of 1200 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop, no parity, xon/xoff protocol. At the connection screen - press enter and you should bet a password prompt - which would be the admin mailbox initial password. You would then get a menu screen. Choose the option to Shut Down. After the shutdown is complete and the menu reappears - press the Escape key once to get a 1D> prompt. Type init - and press enter. The voicemail should start the reinitializtion process - which will take a while. Once complete - if the menu does not reappear - keyin MM and press enter. At the menu choose A for Startup. fter the voicemail reboots - you can logoff and now reprogram the voicemail from scratch - all mailboxes, greetings, programming will have been returned to factory specs.

The alternative is manually remove all programming for system parameters, mailboxes, autattendants, etc.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

When you access the VM internally, you will reach the log-in prompt.

When you access it via the DID number, you will reach Auto Attendant No. 1. Press "*7" to switch to the log-in.

Would you really want wrong number callers, and scanners to reach a recording inviting them to log into your system?

Tom:

Thanks, I'll try that reset procedure today. I'm kind of annoyed the vendor selling the refurbed equipment didn't do that already.

TouchToneTommy:
Where were you last night?! ;) I struggled with that from home until 1 am and gave up. Of course, I didn't realize the main greeting prompt was not the same as the merlin mail login prompt. (Not that the docs are that clear on that item, but I should have figured it out since the docs presume the system is virgin and therefore would have no main greeting.)

I'm going to open a new thread asking the best/most secure way to provide access to vm for users offsite during the daytime. (Since this vm will only "on" during night service.)

To access voicemail offsite - during the day - if the user's call is answered by someone - they simply need to ask to be transferred to the voicemail calling group - in your case transfer 772. They will get the normal "Welcome to Merlin mail" greeting - and they can enter their extention number and pound sign and password and pound sign. If the autoattendant answers - either during the day or night - they simple press *7 (which is equivalent to dialing 772 internally). They will get the "Welcome to merlin Mail" greeting - and then enter their extention# and password.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Ok, so the null modem deal was a disaster. Despite 3 different null modem adapters/cable setups and 3 different PC's I could not get connected to the com port on the module. (I'm pretty sure it's not the null modem cabling since I could connect two of the PCs with the cable and see characters being echoed to the other box.)

So instead I hooked up an inside T/R line to a modem and dialed the extension above the 6th vm port which I presume is the RMD. I got the 1D> prompt ok, and could type MM to get the menu, so I belive this is equivalent to being on the com port.

Anyway, when I did the init command it failed b/c of 25 disk errors. I presume this means I should go back to the vendor and ask for another HD which I'll have to re-serialize I guess.

Is 25 a lot of errors? Can the system run reliably with the errors?

Here is the output from my failed init attempt:
CONNECT 1200/NONE
C¡H0½s?ÕÉÉ•ÜÑ*%ɽÉt?Can't Find Command
Command =
1D>init

1D>disktest.cmd
Testing 912 Cylinders, 15 Heads, 60 Sectors.
T - 911 total errors 25

Total track read errors detected 25

1D>init2.cmd

Merlin Legend Mail Configuration

Merlin Legend Mail disktest failed! Press p to continue : p

25 errors is not good - even one error will prevent the sytem from reinitializing. By the way - you stated you had a merlin Mail R3. Your description of connecting indicates you really have an 007 MLM voicemail - which does NOT need the null modem - just a straight-thru serial cable.

If you bought this from someone who has replacement drives available - I would have them send you one.

You can manually remove the programming - but the high number of sector errors on the drive suggest that one or more functions will fail to work properly.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

DOH! Sorry for the confusion. I think I thought I had an 007 MLM module with a version number of R3.

I was tempted to try the straight-through serial especially since the serial port on the module was female and I had to use a gender bender to get it hooked up. Should have trusted my gut from the old ProcommPlus for DOS days...

Doesn't it seem like if a telecomm vendor lists the module as "refurbished", they should have at least tried to init the thing? Would have saved me some time/trouble.

I understand these things aren't brand new, but I do expect them to be in full working order, not to mention free of some other company's mailboxes and greetings...

Thanks again for all the help.

I spoke with the vendor and he said: "Let me have my Merlin tech call you. People call him from all over the country about these systems..He's the best...etc."

I just got off the phone with the tech, he had never connected to the 007 MLM with a serial connection. Told me he was not aware of the init command or the 1D> prompt. Also told me I could only remove the mailboxes and re-record greetings, no way to re-initialize a 007 MLM module. Also he told me the 25 disk errors would not be a problem and he had no answer for the question "well then why would Avaya prevent an init if disk errors occur"?

Needless to say I was underwhelmed. I have been much more impressed by the knowledge I've seen in this forum.

Now the vendor says he thinks maybe the init command is only for Avaya's use when the system is first manufactured, not to be used after that and maybe disk errors are okay. I will agree that it's hard to find a disk with absolutely no bad sectors.

The vendor has opened a tech ticket with Avaya, I'll let you know what they say.

For the 007MLM Card, do NOT use a null modem cable, use a regular one. For Merlin Mail, the one that looks like a PC mounted on the wall, use the null cable

This very forum has a FAQ section - see the links at the top of this page - and look at this FAQ

Contact me directly via my URL. You need a replacement hard drive. Your vendor is "clueless".

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back