Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin MAGIX R4.0 Processor Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

musher

MIS
Jul 13, 1998
US
Hi all,

We have aproximately 250 extensions at our facility. Of those aprox. 100 digital and 150 analog. We had a vendor suggest Merlin MAGIX. My understanding is that a MAGIX can only handle up to 200 extensions. The quote provided has two Merlin MAGIX Processors linked. A peer in my organization stated that this a unpreferable way to go and that we may have issues with two systems running the telephony. Has anyone heard of this being done, are there any caveats if so? If this is not the way to go, what is next step up the Avaya ladder that you would suggest. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Musher
mtsauer@kcc.com

You can run two Magix systems in tandem and effectively double the the capacity, but this is not ideal as you loose some of the features. Some of the phones would have capabilities that others would not as they would be on a different switch. If thos features weren't necessary, then it would work, but still be cumbersome.
The AE who suggested this should be horsewhipped.
The next larger system would be IP Office, or a Definity. The Tandem Magix would most likely be cheaper though, if you could live with the quirks.

Pepperz@charter.net

As a former Technical Sales support Engineer, I have also suggested the "DUAL MAGIX" design as a "POSSIBLE" solution.

I would not necessarily be in favor of "HORSEHIPPING" the AE, especially considering what the customer gave him as requirements.

Also, "CACK WHEN" I didn't have the IP Office as a solution.

Today, I would ask that the AE revisit this application and look at it from the perspective of either an IP Office or some Definity solution.

At this time, the poeple who do sales support on the MAGIX also do sales support on the IP OFFICE as well.

I could certainly make the "DUAL MAGIX" thing work, but it limits the customers ability to grow.

IF they have the bucks, start with something that can provide the growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back