Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Legend question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comput3rGuy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2012
US
How do I program an extension so it can have the capability of catching a line out but gets no incoming calls on the availible lines out, unless they are transfered to it?

Currently all lines are assiged to Pool 70. But I have two lines that are receiving incoming calls that are not suppose to, but they also need to be able to select a line, not just grab one from to pool.

attendant extensions have line assignments. The rest are pooled.

If they are in pool 70, can't you just dial 9 to get an outside line without needing a programmed pool button ?
If you have two lines receiving calls, do you mean two copper lines with separate phone numbers ?
Or do you mean two extensions with pool 70 programmed on a button?

When Linux is Free and Open, who needs Windows or Gates?

I suppose you could create two pools with one line each.
Can assign the line to a phone which assigns as a pool button...with one line.

Yes, I think we need clarification between this being LINES that get a call or EXTENSIONS. I haven't seen a response from the original poster, so I feel we need more info to base recommendations on.

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

How do I program an extension so it can have the capability of catching a line out but gets no incoming calls on the availible lines out, unless they are transferred to it?

Currently all lines are assigned to Pool 70. But I have two lines that are receiving incoming calls that are not suppose to, but they also need to be able to select a line, not just grab one from to pool.

Sorry Guys I have been off the grid for a few days...
I have six Telco Lines entering the building. Four are for incoming calls and set up infornt of the Switch to roll to the next if the main (Published) number is busy. One for Fax and one for Alarms and Elevators. The Principals want to be able to have a line that they can grab with out having to get into the Pool 70 (Because Pool 70 does not allow long distance calls) Also, Pool 70 consists of the same 4 Telco lines. The two Principal extensions also do not want external calls to ring into their extensions.

So, to take it one step further, and probably answering my own question in the process...What if I assigned the two "Other" lines to the Principals for external calls only. The Fax and Alarms/Elevators Lines are not published or in a hunt group so calls would not ring into those extensions, but yet they would be able to make calls as they wish.

Does that clarify the mud that I origionally posted and do you think my solution would be practical?

Yes you could add the fax & alarm lines to the extensions in question but wouldn't the fax line ring on incoming faxes (make sure you set it as a no ring line)
you could also add them to pool 890 and bump the FRL up, then with toll restriction routing long distance to 890 only the users with a high enough FRL could access long distance (890).

Why not give the Principal a mlx28 and make it a operators station by plugging it into a operator port.
You then have line assignment of all lines and can remove or add any lines.
You can also adjust the line ringing for each line.

- OR - assign the FAX LINE to a calling group that overflows to the AUTO ATTENDANT, and ASSIGN IT AS A FAX EXTENSION within the AA.

Then, when a call rings in, it will be routed to the fax, and the "end user" will not get ringing 'cause it's set to NO RING on his extension.

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

Merlinman, I like the second pool because then the end users don't have to change how they dial, based on where they call, 9 (and the number) always routes to correct pool
VS
Local calls, dial 9(and the number).
Long distance calls, press special "long distance" button then dial number (don't forget to drop the 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back