Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Legend <> Magic Networking via PRI/T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion3311

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2010
US
So playing with my lil telecom phone lab, I have a Merlin Legend 7.0 r9 and a Merlin Magix R4. The legend has 2 100dcd T1 cards in it; one going to an Adtran 908e and that is working. The other I attempted to connect (via crossover cable) to the Magix, and I can't seem to get them to talk. The Magix also has a 100DCD (Magix version) card. I'm pretty sure I have the various settings correct:

Trunk set up as PRI, with the usual fixins: ESF/B8ZS on both sides
Switchtype on one is set as Legend-PBX and the other is Legend-Network
Clock source - I have the Legend set up to use the clock from the Adtran (so slot 5 loop), and then set up the Magix to use loop. This is a bit confusing and may be where my problem lies, but Iv'e tried various combinations of internal/loop on either end.

I'm wondering if using a crossover will work in this case? Also I think perusing the manuals that the Magix T1 card has a variety of dip switches on it that I haven't really reviewed yet, although all the settings via programming are correct and appear to have saved correctly.

Any ideas?

Well I feel dumb...after I busied out and restored the T1 card on the Magix a bunch of times, I realized I never did so on the Legend, and uhh, that was it LOL. Both cards now seem to be talking, so now to do the crazy research of how to set up the dial plan for them to be able to call each other. I ended up figuring this out by just connecting each card to the Adtran instead and changing the switchtype to 5ess; that one card didn't come up.

I did set up the switch numbers based on line # on each end, and changed the extension numbering on the Magix to not conflict with the Legend, but I'm lost as to whether to go into UDP or ARS to set it up. It seems my Magix put all the B channels into group 80.

I've done it several times. But it was long long ago, in a place far far away.

But, it's fairly easy.

As I remember (which is not very well) I first off ALWAYS do a set up space renumbering on both systems.

That makes life alot easier as you go forward.

Next, you'll want to figure out a dial plan.

I'd set 1 system for 100 to 299, and the other to 300 to 499.

Or, however you want to do it.

I threw those out to prevent conflicts between the 2.

Then there's some tables and routes you have to do.

If you can't figure that out let me know and I'll try to dust off some old brain cells.....

Yup I did mostly this since my last post, and have calls flowing over the PRI now. One gotcha I ran into was when in re-numbering, you have to renumber both the extensions AND adjuncts. I did find it interesting that the system was smart enough to tell me that I had a dial plan conflict when I tried to edit the non-local UDP though too.

For any future viewers - this really helps explain how a call is processed, even though it straight up says this isn't how tandem lines work, which is what I'm doing with the PRI in this post.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back