Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin II upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsronline

Technical User
Jul 19, 2004
US
The company my wife works for has a Merlin II system (R3 processor with FM3 and four 408 cards). They would like to add voice mail. They are looking for the cheapest solution possible. In my opinion upgrading to a Legend processor and getting Legend mail would be better than installing a 012 card and trying to find an old Merlin Mail on EBay.

What Revisions of Legend Processor and Voice Mail should I look for? The company would like to save money by continuing to use their 408 ATL cards and BIS series phones (one 34D and a bunch of 10 BIS). All they would like to gain is a single auto attendant and enough voice mail boxes for 20 to 25 employees. Any suggestions are welcome.

Chris

Well, the best thing to do is drop a Legend R7 processor in, and use either Merlin Mail R3, or a used Audix. Merlin Messaging is expensive, and the MLMs had TONS of hard drive issues. I dont think I have ran into one yet that has not had some issues. I just avoid them. Plus, with an old Audix, even the old MAP 5 desktops, put in the MErlin integration software, and you can administer the system via tha Audix too, Using SPM. This would be quite useful, since you will not have any MLX cards, and you will not be able to use a MLX 20L.

Thanks for the insite. I had wondered about the MLMs, it seems like you can pick those up pretty cheap.

I only deal in Panasonic systems in my professional life. My only experience with the Avaya product is the Partner II and Partner Mail R3 in my home.

Thanks,
Chris

I like R7 Legend and Merlin Messaging.

But as you shop around, you will find the messaging is not cheap.

However, it is cheaper than replacing all the ATL sets and cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back