Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian Mail , save messages to some form of backup to save space

Status
Not open for further replies.

altolabado

Technical User
May 27, 2004
CA
Anyone know how I can save Meridian Messages for a user on backuo tape or some form of backup so that theyu can delete all the messages in their mailbox, free some space up-.

Thanks

You can do a selective backup (depending on your software Rls) for which you then can later do a Selective restore.

On MerMail this has limitations though. The selective is for an individual user not message and a restore will restore mailbox as it was when you backed up. lossing current messages/greetings

bad idea, if you do a selective backup, the msgs are not erased on the hd, and if you back up 10 boxes and later do a partial restore, you mermail will have exactly 10 mail boxes.. i know someone that burnt himself with that. he backup one md because it was a bomb threat. later when he had paper work from the da and his companies legal dept, he did a partial restore, worked great, until someone called and asked why thier password was not working. seems like it wasn't the password. all 800 mb's were blown away. he had restored 1 mailbox and that was all he had left in the voice mail... a nortel said that it should have worked, that he had made a mistake... either way, your not saving enough space to help much. what i have done is take all but the exec boxes and do and auto delete on read msg's over 7 days old. and unread over 30. i also look for stale mb's over 45 days and delete them along with the forwarding on the phone.. with cp and desktop msg's you can save msgs to your pc

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back