Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian Mail and Call Pilot question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidNe

Programmer
Nov 24, 2005
CA
I currently have a Meridian Mail in Montreal and would like to install Call Pilots in (for instance) San Jose, Bolton, Seattle and Orlando can the CP's and MM communicate with each other so as I could send messages back and forth between them?
For instance
Mr Black is in Orlando at ext 4200
Mr Red is in Seattle at ext 4500
Mr Green is in San Jose at ext 4100
Mr White is in Boloton at ext 4400
Can Mr Pink creat a message from his MM and send it to the above CP mailboxes?

no, you can use either for nws but not both.. that was written in stone up to rls 3, it may have changed but nortel perfers selling new boxes so i would not bet on newer rls's networking back to the mermail.. mermail was a good box for the 80's.. time to upgrade..

think about it, that box came out before the 286 cpu..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

If you have the Networking feature on each system it is possible.
NWS (different feature than Networking) is only required if you want to (for example) use the voice mail in Montreal to provide mailboxes for the users in the other cities.
You may have both options on all systems, or you may have neither. But to do what you want you need Networking, not NMS.

thanks stan, and your right he may just want networking.. i reread the post and assumed he wanted nws

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

But you are still correct about upgrading. I wouldn't want to spend time setting up the networking on a Meridian Mail that needs to be upgraded anyway.

Thanks for the input John and Stan I will approach management with the upgrade suggestions.

I have been told that with VPIM this can be done, where messages can be sent back and forth between CP and MM.

Is this true?

yes its true if you have the networking package for MM, go to tools and look at your features

YY, It states the following

16: AMIS : No
17: Hospitality : No
18: Networking : Yes

What is AMIS?

Audio
Messaging
Interchange
Specification

Its one of the many networking protocol. In the Nortel world, AMIS is used to allow networking to other voicemail system. AMIS or VPIM is the standard networking protocol when you're dealing with different voicemail system from different vendors.

Thanks J, so from what I read I would require AMIS to be enabled in order to achieve my MM and CP's to be able to communicate with each other, correct?

Sorry everyone but I have another question, would VPIM also be required for each Call Pilot site or would I just need to purchase it once?

If you are going to network these sites you need to buy the networking license for all sites being networked.

VPIM is require for each CP. However, if every site has CP, use Enterprise Networking instead of VPIM, unless you have a mix of Nortel and non-Nortel vm.

As for the AMIS on the MM, not sure if you can order any additional packages for the MM at this point. You'll need to talk to a sales person for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back