Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian Mail 13 problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlk53

Technical User
Mar 22, 2005
US
Customer has an 11C running 25.4 with MM13. They took a power hit. PBX is ok but MM won't come up at all. Tried to enable AML link but only says Auto setup. No further. The green led on the front on the MM NT6R16AA card stays on for 5 secs and off for 5 secs. I changed the NT6r16aa card but not the hard drive, with no change. Could I hyave a corrupt hard drive? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Another note. The black and red jumper cable that goes from the hard drive to the main board. How can I tell if it is connected properly. One way the HDD light stays on and the other way it doesn't. Which way is right?

Ok, what type of meridian mail do you have? Is it the entopia (single system) style, or is it the three card.

If it is the entopia do the following:

1. Log into the system and disable the AML link.
2. AX over to the Meridian Mail. You may just have a blank screen for now, but we need to check something here.
3. Eject the tape and power off the tape drive
4. Reset the Meridian Mail
5. Hopefully you see the mail booting at this point.
6. Hopefully you come up to "Fox Security check...yada..yada
7. ctl ] back to the switch.
8. go to ld 48 and do the following:
.enl aml X (whatever aml number you use)
.est aml X
9. Hopefully you get .Wait then .OK
10. Then .enl aml x lyr 7
11. Then go back to Mmail AX and the system should continue to boot.

It sounds like you are getting stuck at the fox security check. I had this happen on Monday so it's still fresh.

Hope this is your problem and hope it helps. I have maintained numerous Entopia machines and have rarely lost a hard drive. The Three Card system is another story.

John

If it is the three card system, make sure when you reseat everything that all the cables between the cards are in place when you slide back in. if they are off some items will not come up, and as much as I hate to tell you, I have lost these hard drives numerous times. With a good backup you can be back up and running in one evening.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear on Friday afternoon.

Hope all goes well.

It is a single card. I dis aml, reset card, and at ax, blank screen. I have waited for 10 minutes and still blank. I never get to fox security. It seems like a hard drive issue to me . Thoughts??

BEFORE YOU RESET CARD YOU NEED TO ENABLE THE AML

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

ENL AML 9 ACMS IS THE FORMAT, YOU SHOULD GET TO FOX IFYOU STILL HAVE NOTHING SCROLLING YOU HAVE A BAD PROCESSOR

Thanks I will try that. I will post results. Is the processor on the daughtrboard ?

Guys, I have a question. If a hard drive has gone bad, will the security screen still come up. I have drive that is not configured. If I put that on my spare card, should I still get the security screen. Trying to find a method to verify if my spare card is good or not. Thanks.

You should see it go through some self diagnostics before it looks for the HD, if you don't bad processor

In my experience of Meridian Mail, the slow flashing LED has always been a Hard Disk issue, be it Hard Disk Failure or Data Corruption. The remedy is Re-installation, intially to the existing disk, if this is succesful, it was Data Corruption, otherwise change Hard Disk.

Update, tried to reload software from scratch but never got to the Install screen. Waited 10 minutes and all the while the green LED continued its slow blink. Processor must be defective and I am waiting on one. Thanks all.

You should have waited longer than 10 minutes. I just got done rebuilding two Entopia Mails. Both showed the same symptoms. Reset the card and got nothing on my screen indicating a reboot.

One site was fixed by doing a "System Recreate" and the other was fixed by doing a full reinstallation and restore.

but, when I put the Install Tape in the Tape Drive and restarted the system it took a full 20 minutes to read the tape.

I must have reset the card a half dozen times before a co worker of mine told me to chill out and let it simmer. Then after about 20 minutes i did a screen refresh and everthing was there. I just wasn't patient enough.

I don't know if 20 mins is normal or just the exception in mine, but one I waited everything was fine.

On the one I had to rebuild the hard drive was bad, but I had a spare 1gb drive and it took about 3 1/2 hours from start to finish, even the restore of the data (200 users with messages and greetings).

The indicator on the hard drive is the slow flash on the card face.

Hope all went well with your restore.

Great information. Thanks very much. The new card fixed my problem. Hard drive was ok. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back