Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian 8x24 lost programming 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhablitzel

Technical User
Dec 14, 2001
US
I have a Meridian 8x24 system. We recently purchased this system used. It sat unplugged for about 3 weeks before we installed it, but has been running for at least 2 weeks since installed. Today, we lost power and apparently the UPS didn't hold. When the system came back up it had reset to default. I read in the manual that the system should hold the setting for at least 1 day without power. I'm assuming that there is an internal battery that is dead. Does anyone know if this can be replaced without calling a service rep?

The most common issues that result in a "system default" are:

(1) The Software cartridge loosing connection with the KSU while powered up
Could it be that your software cartridge is not seated very well? I would surely check that.

(2) As you suspected, the internal battery could be dead. Unfortunately, the battery that holds the programming on an 8x24, if I am not mistaken, is in the Software cartridge itself. It may be that you need to replace the cartridge. I am not sure of the integrity of the cartridge once opened.

Jeter - Sclum... what do you think?

HMMM I do recall the 8x24 battery residing on the cartridge. The MICS battery is on the back plane of the PCB. I looked on nortel web site and could not locate the info.

Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Thanks guys. I'll definetly check that cartridge. Apparently this isn't a common problem. Any more info you come across would be helpful.

I also believe it to be on the software cartridge. If you have a later release, there may be 2 pieces to your cartridge. The software itself slides into a larger cartridge, then the 2 pieces go in your cabinet as one. If this is the case, I believe the battery is located in the cartridge that fits into the cabinet, not the software itself. I`m not 100% on this, but I believe Nortel later made it in two pieces so upgrading software would be easier and retain its memory kept on that secondary cartridge.

If you do have a 2 piece cartridge, you could probably purchase the part that fits into the cabinet without replacing your software. If it`s all in one piece, you`ll need to replace it.

Schlum

I checked it out today. Schlum, what you describe is what we have. It also appears that what holds the memory is not a battery, but 2 large capaciters. I didn't think they went bad, but apparently in this case they have. I guess I'll try to locate one of these adapter pieces somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Good job on keeping on top of the problem. Where did you locate the information about the capaciters? I do know that when you short the pins on a 0x32 it defaults and changed the system id. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back