Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian 11C Password Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen123

Technical User
May 28, 2004
GB
Whilst trying to change password on Meridian M1 I can get as far as requesting the change in ld 17 but when the PWD2 prompt comes up it will not respond to the known level 2 password. Probably entered incorrectly by whoever set it up last or possibly become corrupt. Anyone know a back door to get around this. Many thanks.

You will need to call vendor.... No one will provide you info regarding backdoor entrance on this form.

very true, if you don't have the second level, you can't change any password. the vendor usually keeps that pretty close to their vest. you can change passwords in pdt but that is protected even worse.. like the post said, call the vendor. if the level 2 is corrupt nortel will clear that for you, that price tag runs around 1500, last count

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

In those famous words of Elmer Fudd "be wery, wery careful."

My vendor changed passwords and didn't capture the auto generated string assigned from switch. We got locked out and had to go back to Nortel. Both costly and frustrating.

Make sure you have the printer ON and capture the new to paper incase you should inadvertantly make a spelling mistake or get disrupted during the process and forget the password before recording to memory.

Don't forget to shred and eat the paper after you've made the necessary revisions.

mike

your vendor is pulling your leg, he fat-fingered the password and couldn't guess it right. unless their is a command i missed, when i change the password, i enter the new password, they tend to be a combination of the site name/ cust no and/or the vendors name.. not an auto gen

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Things happened pretty fast and furious a long time ago. I don't rememeber the exact things that happened but as I recall it had something to do with changing levels -or- turning on account names. Something like that. Some how the system auto generated an "encrypted password" that we were supposed to write down. The printer had been stolen by that time and the vendor forgot about capturing the encrypted password. I wasn't happy but we finally got it solved.

Many years ago, I had a fellow worker that secured an important Word Perfect document and didn't write down the password and promptly forgot it. About every 6 months until his retirement, he'd spend about 1/2 day trying every possible password that came into his brain. I think he took early retirement just because of that darn document.

mike

when you enable lname login if you type in the name and then the password it is easy to fat finger that and never get back in. nortel, unlike some switches allows 3 attepmts, then gives you back ovl400 for any attempt past that even it's it right, that code is active for a period defined in the cdb 30 min to 24 hours, if memory is correct. on some rls's an ini could restart the timer if you wanted to allow that... i do know what you mean about not having the new password after you typed it in

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

When you have the LNAME option enable and disable it, the system creates a new level 2 passwords that you should use for change again the password, if you mist it, Nortel or your vendor should break the password from PDT. If your vendor is a certified Nortel Partner he should be able to do it no need for Nortel to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back