Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian 1 OPT 11c fax problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldbabcock

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2010
US
We have been dealing with an ongoing fax issue at our location. Here is the back story:

Our local telco was switched about 1 year ago. Shortly after switching companies it was noticed that our caller id wasn't working like it did with the old telco. We had it set up that all outgoing comercial calls showed our main billing number. With the new telco it was showing the DN of the originator. After several months of going back and forth with the telco it was determined that the old telco was screening the digits that we were outpulsing and then sending out the main billing number.

The new telco made the changes to screen the outpulsed digits and pass our main billing number. After making this change our fax problems started. What is happening is that out going faxes fail outright (wont connect with the distant end) and incoming calls that have caller id attached also fail. If a fax comes in with *67 then it comes through. If the telco removes the caller id the faxes come through.

Additionally we recently had to change our exchange code from 990 to 404. While making this change we adjusted our CLID tables to outpulse the main billing number instead of the DN of the originator so that if the telco turns the screening off we are still putting out the required digits.

So, basically we are trying to figure out what the problem is and if it is something in our PBX or the telco's side? Has anyone seen this before and if so what is the fix action for it? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My advice would be to turn on DCH monitoring in LD 96 to capture calls made to the Fax DN and also for outgoing calls.

I'd also replace the Fax Machine with a normal analogue phone to repeat the calls to see if it's still the same.

If you are using IDC tables. then it's worth finding out what digits your new Telco is sending you as they may now be different to what your previous ones were using.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Ok, thanks for the reply. We have been checking the D-channel messages, but not specifically for the fax DN. I'll look into this.

This is probably a dumb question but we don't have any dedicated switch personnel (we are all multi-system techs) so our level is low to moderate when it comes to working with the deep dark recesses of the switch. So here goes, what is an IDC table and what load do I look it up in?

Can you log into the command line TTY terminal?. If so, then go to LD 49 and e.g.

>LD 49
REQ PRT
TYPE IDC
CUST 0
DCNO (Press enter)

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Well, IDC isn't enabled.

LD 49
REG PRT
TYPE IDC
CUST 0

genereates an SCH code that translates to "Use LD 15 to enable IDC for customer".

Well, here is an update. Still having issues but wading through the muck and mire.

We have set up FCC CPP with *77. Changed our CLID to XXX XXXX so that we are not outpulsing any digits. Had our telecom turn off caller id on their end and tested.

Internally faxes work. When going through the local outbound trunk we get "fax failed" regardless of doing normal or *77. I did more reading and found that on the RDB under LD16 CPP needs to be set to yes.

I did a PRT on RDB in LD 16 and scanned down through it on the outbound trunk. According to the promt listing in our book CPP should be right after ACOD, but it doesn't show. So thinking that it was defaulted to no I went in and did a CHG on entered down to were CPP should be, but still nothing. It shows TCPP which looks to be a subpart of CPP, but the CPP prompt never shows up.

Any ideas of how to see if CPP is enabled on the trunk?

I did some more testing on this issue first thing this morning. Since the CPP isn't working properly right now (still trying to figure out how to get it turned on) I turned on CLDA on the fax DN and tested, and it still showed the main billing number.

So based on that it seems that even when we do get the CPP turned on and working on our outbound trunk we have an issue with the telecom company not honoring the privacy flag. I'll have to bring this up with them when I call them.

Still needing an answer on the CPP question from the last post. When trying to make an outbound call we have to dial 99 (to access the outbound trunk) and then when dialling *77 (CPP feature code) we get a fast busy, which makes it seem like the trunk doesn't know what to do with the code.

Brain cramp. Its *77 99 XXX-XXXX. Dial this but billing number still shows up. When looking at the messages in ld 96 I see that no caller id is associated on the outbound call, but when it comes back in it has billing number inserted when calling an internal number through the local trunk.

Need to figure out what the telecom company is doing as it doesn't seem that they are honoring the privacy flag.

On a seperate note how do most people handle caller id? Do you do it internally with CLID tables or let the CO handle it?

Did you ever plug an analog phone in to the fax line and try to make the calls to other fax numbers (external)? If so, what were the results, did you get dead air, telco messages etc or did it go through? Also, what happens if you try to call these faxes from a digital/IP phone?

Calls work fine, it's just the fax portion that isn't working. I can call from fax to fax, analog (plugged into the fax line) to fax, digital to fax and all calls work fine.

The issue is that when the faxes are trying to do their handshake they fail. This started happening after our CO changed how they were handling the digits that we were outpulsing. Currently they are screening the numbers that we outpulse and are inserting our main billing number (even though we already have that in our CLID).

If an outside fax comes in with privacy flag (*67) it works. So we are trying to set up the privacy flag to test going out while our CO figures out what the mis-match is on thier end.

Bumping this back to the top as we are still trying to find a solution for the problem.

I've spent all morning testing different things out. I've also been studying the RDB's for our DSN route and our IAO local route. Faxes work on DSN but not local/long distance.

IN/OUT Local is set as follows

TKTP DID
NPID_TBL_NUM 0
SAT NO
IDEF NET
RCLS EXT
VTRK NO
DTRK YES
BRIP NO
DGTP PRI
ISDN YES
MODE PRA
IFC NI2
CBCR NO
NCOS 0
SBN NO
PNI 00000
NCNA YES
NCRD NO
CHTY BCH
CPFXS YES
CPUB OFF
DAPC NO
BCOT 0
INTC NO
DSEL VOD
PTYP PRI
AUTO NO
DNIS NO
DCDR NO
ICOG IAO
RANX NO
PREM NO
SRCH LIN
TRMB YES
STEP
ACOD xxxx (REMOVED FOR POSTING)
TCPP NO
PII NO
TARG
CLEN 1
BILN NO
OABS
INST
ICIS YES
TIMR ICF 512
OGF 512
EOD 13952
NRD 10112
DDL 70
ODT 4096
RGV 640
FLH 510
GRD 896
SFB 3
NBS 2048
NBL 4096
IENB 5
VSS 0
VGD 6
DRNG NO
CDR YES
INC YES
LAST NO
QREC NO
OAL YES
AIA YES
OAN YES
OPD NO
CDRX NO
NATL YES
VRAT NO
MUS NO
EQAR NO
FRL 0 0
FRL 1 0
FRL 2 0
FRL 3 0
FRL 4 0
FRL 5 0
FRL 6 0
FRL 7 0
OHQ NO
OHQT 00
TDET NO
TTBL 0
ATAN NO
PLEV 2
MCTS NO
ALRM NO
ART 0
SGRP 0
AACR NO

DSN is set as follows:

TKTP ATVN
NPID_TBL_NUM 0
ESN NO
IDEF NET
RCLS EXT
VTRK NO
DTRK YES
BRIP NO
DGTP PRI
ISDN YES
MODE PRA
IFC D100
SBN NO
PNI 00000
NCNA YES
NCRD NO
CHTY BCH
ISAR NO
CPUB OFF
DAPC NO
BCOT 0
INTC NO
PTYP DTT
DCDR NO
ICOG IAO
PREM YES
ATVR NO
SRCH LIN
TRMB YES
STEP
ACOD xx (REMOVED FOR POSTING)
TCPP NO
TARG 02 05 07
CLEN 1
BILN NO
OABS
IABS 0
INST
ICIS YES
TIMR ICF 640
OGF 640
EOD 13952
NRD 10112
DDL 70
ODT 4096
RGV 640
GRD 896
SFB 3
GLA 48
FDG 768
NDG 640
STK 5120
NBS 2048
NBL 4096
IENB 5
CDR YES
INC YES
LAST NO
QREC NO
OAL YES
AIA YES
OAN YES
OPD NO
CDRX NO
NATL YES
MUS NO
FRL 0 0
FRL 1 0
FRL 2 0
FRL 3 0
FRL 4 0
FRL 5 0
FRL 6 0
FRL 7 0
AUTH NO
TBL 0
ALRM NO
ART 0
SGRP 0
AACR NO

Hoping someone can interpret these and give us an idea as to why faxes would work on DSN but not Local/Long distance.

Changed DSEL to 3VCE on local route and tested, still doesn't work. Changed back to VOD.

Back to searching the archives.

Another question - where do I look to see what codec is being used? I've seen references to OTM, but ours crapped out a while ago and the boss decided not to put the time or money into fixing it as we are moving to a new switch soon.

How would I look up the codec being used by CLI and change it if need be?

Here is another update on this issues:

We had a tech come out from the local vendor. He tested some stuff and is pretty sure that it is something internal to our switch. Our long distance and local trunks are on the same shelf and we can't fax through either of them. Our autovon trunk is on a different shelf/cabinet and we can fax through that circuit.

The tech believes that something in that shelf isn't setting the call up properly as a data call and it is defaulting to say a 8kbps voice call which isn't enough bandwidth for the call to work.

Is there anything at the shelf level that could be causing this? He wants us to move the local trunk to the same shelf as the autovon trunk and test that. However, we are a 24/7 operations and scheduling down time can be a pain. Is there something that we could check before moving the trunk to see how the calls are being setup? Both local and long distance trunks are programmed for VOD so should be able to handle the data calls, and was doing this fine for years.

On the Route that fails faxing go to LD16 and set DSEL 3VCE instead of DSEL VOD

That will do just what the tech ordered.

You can do it live - any time - no interruption will occur.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com World Famous!
--

GHTROUT - thanks for the reply. I had already seen that suggestion in other threads and made that change on the 20th. Did several tests without any success. I changed it back to VOD as that is what it has been set to for several years.

Any other ideas?

Already tried the FAXA MPTD on the faxes with no change seen during the tests.

The only trunk that we can fax out on is the autovon trunk.

I've never had to enable/disable the loop due to changing DSEL.

DonaldBabcock, with the new service you have with the carrier, have you heard the terminology "FlexServ"? We cut over a system last month with "FlexServ" service from the carrier and found out faxing doesnt work over those trunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back