Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging two USB logical drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I have an old disk which I put into a case so that I could use it as an external USB drive. It was split into two partitions so at the moment, it appears as 2 USB drives of 60Gb each. What I'd like to do is to merge the two drives into one 120Gb disk. I could put the disk into another PC and reformat it but at the moment, they're stuck in relatively inaccessible areas and I don't have the space to take one apart and add in the old disk for reformatting.

I'm just wondering whether there is a utility that will fdisk a USB drive, wipe the partitions and repartition it as one.

It doesn't really matter whether it is Linux or Windows or even standalone: as long as it can repartition the drive so I can reformat it as one drive.

I'm just wondering whether there is a utility that will fdisk a USB drive, wipe the partitions and repartition it as one.

Unless I'm missing something, that's easy but you have to move the data OFF first or one partition will be nuked along with the data on it.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I didn't need to save the data.Thanks for the link: it almost worked the first time.

Right clicked and selected extend volume, went all through the dialog. On the final finish it said "Operation not supported by Object".

Basically I'd forgotten to delete the extended partition so the main partition couldn't be extended.

Make sure it's formatted as NTFS as opposed to FAT32. For normal use, it's better to have it as NTFS.

Easeus partition manager works good and is free for personal use.

What happened was that it was NTFS on primary and FAT32 on extended. I removed the drive letter for the FAT partition and then tried to extend the NTFS partition but it wouldn't do it.

So I removed the drive letter for the NTFS partition and then re-added a new NTFS partition and tried to extend but it still didn't work.

Then it dawned on me that the extended partition had to be deleted first. Did that and it worked.

I've just had to go through the same exercise on a memory stick which somehow had been partitioned into 3 drives. Memory sticks are small enough. Why someone would partition an 8Gb stick into 500Mb, 2Gb and 4.5Gb is beyond me.

Did you steal the memory stick? Kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back