Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging two tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheiboy

Technical User
May 9, 2003
CA
How difficult is it to merge two tables that are linked by a control number without mixing them up. I have two tables that make up a form and a sub form linked by a control number. I want to make one table out of them to eliminate duplicating "concern" information in the subform. This explanation may be too vague.

You usually use sub-form when trying to represent a one to many relationship (ie - the customer information in the main form and all the orders in the sub form).

So when you say
I want to make one table out of them to eliminate duplicating "concern" information in the subform

There shouldn't be any duplication in a normalized database. Is this database normalized?

This is similar to a customer database, except that it is patient based. But since each new 'complaint' is different that the one before, and not very many are the same, It would require a new 'concern number'. Normally there is no duplication, but lately the RN's have been adding a second line to put in additional information, but when it comes time to do the report, it's counting the second line twice as a separate case, when it's truly not. The only other way I can think of doing this is running a query of all the fields, exporting to excel, working on it there and bringing it back into Access.

I agree with lespaul. The data as you describe should be in two tables. I would, however, convert the description of the "concern" into a type Meme field and give the nurses a big, fat text box in which to type.

Frank kegley
fkegley@hotmail.com

There is a field for 'COMMENTS', whre they do just that, in the CONCERNS table. Is there a way I can limit them from entering another case/record for the same patient.

Post all the tables, their fields, and their keys. That will make it much easier for us to provide assistance.

My gut feeling is that your DB is not normalized.

Sure, here they are:

The fields from the CONCERNS table:
NewCONTROL_NO
CONTROL_NO
REVIEWER
REFERAL_DT
RESP_DEPT
RESP_RECDT
PRIMDOC_REVIEWER
CONCRN_CD
CONCRN_CAT
REFERL_CD
AGENCY_NAM
AGENCY_ID
SUB_CAT
RESULT_CD
ACTION_CD
REPSRC_CD
CLOSING_DT
OCCURRENCE_CD
RESPONSIBILITY_CD
REFFEREDTO_CD
COMMENTS

and the fields from the MEMBER table:

NewCONTROL_NO
CONTROL_NO
RECVD_DT
RECVD_DEPT
LASTNAME
FIRSTNAME
MEMBR_ID
MEMBR_PID
DOB
PLAN_ID
PROV_NAME
PROV_ID
OCCURNC_DT

The two table above are the ones that have all the data, all the rest are used only as drop down menus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back