Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging two jpg-files with layer technique 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2005
DE
Hello, I'm not very familiar with Photoshop CS2. I simply want to merge two jpg-files without changing anything in in one of the files. First I open the first file and convert the background layer into a regular layer. Then I open the second file and generate a second layer Unfortunately the first layer disappears in the layers palette. How do I succeed to generate two layers in the layer palette in order to merge them?
Every hint is welcome, thank you in advance.

Henry

It's a little unclear what's going on.
But. If we call the files file 1 and file 2, then from what I understand you to say, you go to file 1, convert the background layer, make a new layer, so you have 2 layers, one blank (clear).
Then you go to file 2 and generate a second layer.... But at this point the layer pallette will be for file 2, not file 1.
If you select all/copy, then go back to file 1, make sure the new layer is selected, and paste, then this will paste a copy of file 2 over the jpg that was originally file 1.

Hope this helps?

Hello, Sadruddin,
thank you very much for helping me.
I think I proceeded a few steps, but at the end of the procedure something is wrong. I make the following steps:
1. Open file1
2. Layer palette, boubleclick on background, Window 'New Layer', ok. file1 appears as Layer0, eye icon visible
3. Clicking 'New Layer', a layer1 appears, eye icon visible; I drag Layer1 below Layer0
4. Open file2
5. file2 appears as background, eye icon visible, double click on background, Window 'New Layer', ok. file2 is now layer0
6.Select - All (file2)
7.Edit - Copy
8. Going to file1, layer1 active, Edit - Paste. There are now layer0 (file1) and layer1 (file2), both eye icons visible
9. Changing to layer0, Layer - Merge Down
Only file1 (layer1) is visible, not file 2

What is wrong?
Your assistance is very much appreciated, Henry.

.JPG's do not support transparancy so the top layer will hide all the layers below. If you want to merge the two together, set the opacity of the top layer to 50%, or whatever balance is good for you.

Keith

There is an awful lot of text here for what should be simple.

Choose one of the JPG files, select all, copy and paste into the other JPG file. A new layer will automatically be created. Save as a new PSD document.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

...and then address the compositing as audiopro notes. You should not merge anything until after you blend the images. You may find the manual helpful when it comes to 'layer masks'.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

It's even simpler. Copy/paste is not needed. Open file 1 and file 2. Both should have the same image mode (RGB/8 bits for example) and the same ppi.

Click on the background in file 1 and hold the button down. Drag the mouse pointer until it is within the file 2 area. You should have a small rectangle as the cursor. Release the mouse button. Presto! Two layers which one image as the background, and the second as layer 1. If you press the shift key before releasing the mouse button, the new layer will be centered in the image.

Create a mask on layer 1. Paint black, with the mask selected, over areas of image 1 that you do not wish to see in a composite. Use a soft, large brush so they boundary is not obvious. Sometimes, however, the areas to be masked will dictate a small brush size. You can also set opacity and flow rate among other things for the brush. Swap to white as necessary to reverse the action of black on the mask.

Do NOT save the result as a jpeg unless absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back