Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging Shared Workbooks in Excel 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

staciann

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2006
US
Hi. I am trying to set up a shared workbook in Excel 2013 for an employee. We get the spreadsheet created, share the workbook, save it to SharePoint 2013. That all works fine. Someone else then creates a copy of the workbook in the same library (no folders) by opening it and doing a "Save As." When that user opens their copy, it says the file name followed by [Shared] at the top the same way the original file does. The user with the copy makes changes, hits save, closes the workbook. (check in / check out is not being used in this SharePoint library)

Now comes the fun part...the owner of the original document opens it and clicks to "Compare and Merge Workbooks." Then the error pops up: "[File name] cannot be merged into the current workbook. Workbooks to be merged must be copies made from the same shared workbook, and must all maintain the change history for a sufficient amount of time."

We've tried having her do this both from the original shared workbook and from a copy she created for herself; both give the same error.

I can't figure out for the life of me what the issue is. All users have permissions to the SharePoint library and the workbook is not password protected. Any idea what this error means? The workbooks are definitely copies from the same shared workbook and the change history was set up with the original (no settings changed in the copies).

Thanks for your help!

Staci

Currently using Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2013, Crystal Reports 2013, Visual Studio 2010 & 2008, SharePoint 2013 (on prem), MS Dynamics CRM 2013 (cloud), MS Dynamics SL 2011, Adobe CS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back