Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalComps

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2007
GB
My C: is full and i cant see why as anything i install usually goes to either my D: or E: partition, without installing a new program as my C: will go nuts wots the command to merg my C: drive with my D:? i had at least 6gig b4 i installed AVG yesterday and now all of a sudden ive now got 866MB left :S (totally stumped) Its driving me crazy :( ive dont a disk defrag and disk clean up still nothing. so all i can do now is try and merg the 2 together to make more space...

Did you ever run ChkDsk /r on this drive?

Have you looked at the System Restore options when you ran Disk Cleanup. This may be consuming your free space. You can look at the "More Options" Tab for further cleanup options.

"System Restore and Shadow Copies. Prompts you to delete all but the most recent restore point on the disk.

System Restore uses restore points to return your system files to an earlier point in time. If your computer is running normally, you can save disk space by deleting the earlier restore points.

In some editions of Windows Vista, restore points can include previous versions of files, known as shadow copies, and backup images created with Windows Complete PC Backup. This information will also be deleted. For more information about System Restore, search Windows Help and Support for "system restore."

Apart from Basic, the System Requirements are for a 40GB with 15GB of free space.

System requirements for Windows Vista

Have a look at the Extend parameter in the Diskpart tool.

New, Free, Graphical Partitioning Tool

Resize Partition, (try the free trial).
BootIt NG

When you purchase a new hard drive, the drive manufacturer will have free software available to copy your old drive to the newly purchased drive.

Any resizing or partition work is risky and preserving valuable data via backups is necessary.

AntiVirus on vista
thread1583-1385777

i have 2 shadow copies should i delete both? as theyre both 11th?

See if there is an option to remove the oldest and keep the latest. Personally I turned off System Restore (and thereby Shadow Copies) because I dual boot with XP and they don't work too well in that situation. I have plenty of image backups however.

Have a look at these options too.

IE7 in Vista: Folder Redirection for Favorites on the Same Machine

Moving Shell Folders in Vista.

i did a backup a few days ago put it on another partition, ill see if i can delete them,

yay at last i gained bk 3gig of space due to turing off system restore. woohoo im happy now :D:D:D thx to all who tried to help xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back