Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging and creating a background object from multiple objects 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylebellamy

Programmer
Jan 24, 2002
US
Hello all!

I'm going to use an image on this page as a reference:

Specifically, the atom as it works with what I am trying to accomplish. Ignore the reflections as they are not part of my deign.

I wanted to know how to go about creating a solid white background that would sit behind the atom, ending up about 3 pt further out than the design but follow the edge of the design.

The design is actually made of separate parts so the white that you see in between the stalks and the center ellipse, for instance, is just the background showing through which I want to remain white on any background.

Is there a method for combining the various objects (in a copied layer of course)and filling in the spaces so that I get the solid white shape.

I realize that I can hand edit the things so that spaces in between are bridged or in a more sloppy way use strokes but was curious if there was a method that was more elegant.

Thanks for any help!

...quite often the pathfinder palette options are your friend, to combine elements into one shape, you often need to expand strokes and appearances if used ( object > expand ). Then use the pathfinder palette options to create one shape , this can then be filled and then the fill can have an offset applied, (filter > path > offset) by whatever unit you type in such as 3pt.

andrew

============
============

Thanks for the information, Andrew. I guessed that would be the method that made the most sense but I was hoping that there was something new in the latest version that I had not tried yet. lol Given what Adobe seems to come up with in terms of remarkable and innovative ideas, it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back