Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge TV+Cable+Satellite with 3-way merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I plan to watch my TV , Cable and Satellite through one TV set to be fed by one coaxial RF cable. Is this possible?
I have TV signal coming from aerial, Cable signal from decoder box and of course Satellite signal. Eventually, I want these 3 signals to merge on one coaxial line so I can tune into them by pressing the TV remote control channel up/ down buttons only. Do I need something that is the opposite of 3 way splitter, something like 3 way converger that merges all 3 signals. Does it exist? Any suggestion is appreciated

I don't know about the cable box but the satellite box has to be accessed to change channels. you might get it to work with a universal remote but not just the buttons on your TV remote.

If you intend to watch them all just by pushing the channel up and down button, you will need to modulate the sat receiver and the cable box outputs on unused CATV/TV channel. Now, why you would want to do this is another question. If you take the video output of the sat receiver and the video output of a digital cable box and then modulate them, you will have a much lesser quality signal. While you would be able to choose what source you are watching, you wouldnt be able to change CATV channels or change sat channels without using the remote for that device or having a universal remote.

I can only guess you are trying to do this to avoid running more cable to one location? The smart way would be to bring the antenna into the TV. Bring the composite video output (or S video) from the converter box into one video input on the TV, and bring the composite video output (or S video) from the sat receiver into another video input on the TV. Changing sources could be done from the TV remote control by changing inputs between TV/Video1/Video2.

Hope that helps. It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back