Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusGiller

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
DE
Any time i do a merge (DB Pruning = 60 days)
i get this Error
TAPE E6096 Media Error [ABSL:9020 CMD:11h TapeName:M-FILESRV-FRI- 8/29/03 RID:47392 Barcode:40233]
W3855 Unable to position media. (MEDIA=M-FILESRV-FRI- 8/29/03, EC=UNRECOVERABLE DATA ERROR)
W3884 Unable to position media catalog file.
Retry Merge operation with the sequential merge method.
Can't be a bad tape, i tried with several tapes.

Arcserve shows 90 minutes 'Locate Session' and the merge really starts. After the 90 minutes you see the message shown above in the Activity log.

Windows 2000, Arcserve 2000 SP4 and the latest Patches installed. Any suggestions

Regards Markus

The UDE is reported by the drive to the Tape Engine. It is the drive itself that is saying it can not read the tape.

Do you do a verify with your backups?
If you want enable the Tape Engine debug (faq478-3964) and that will provide more data on the failure.

Here is how to enable the sequential merge. It should at least merge in some of the data before the UDE happens.

These UDE errors might be drive and not tape related. Which also means that a bad drive can create bad tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back