Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge multiple reports - Report Studio Cognos 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

handpass

Programmer
Oct 13, 2006
US
Apologies if this is a beginners question but I'm using Cognos for the first time. I've just created six reports in Report Studio (Cognos 8) which I now want to merge into one report. There is a common unique ID column in each of the reports that will be used to join up the results from the six reports. What is the best way to go about this, even some direction on what to read would be a great help.

Thanks

What are you reporting on? Are you creating totals, percentages, or conditional totals for the unique IDs?

If so, are creating calculations or formulas to get this result data?

Maybe this is what you currently have??
Report 1
Unique ID # Orders # Items
250 25 38
260 34 61
270 21 32

Report 2
Unique ID # Late % Late
250 2 8%
260 0 0%
270 5 24%

I would combine the reports as shown below:

UniqueID #Orders %Items | # Late %Late
250 25 38 2 4%
260 34 61 0 0%
270 21 32 5 16%

FYI - I see a common mistake all the time; that is people trying to give too much detail in reports. I suggest doing more summary reports. Give people the analysis data/results only. Giving them details about how you get the analysis data only clutters up a report. Remember time and attention is the scarcest factor in business.

Would you rather look through a detailed report which may be 10-15 pages or a summary report of the same data which is 1 or 2 pages?

-- JJB373 --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back