Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge 2 Derived tables to 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aino

Programmer
Dec 28, 2004
NL
Hello,

A have build 2 Derived tables (same structure) because the SQL script is to long to put it in one.

Can I merge them to one (derived) table ?

I tried this but it would work:

Select * from [DERIVED_TABLE_01]
union
Select * from [DERIVED_TABLE_02]

Thanks

No. Your database doesn't know what your derived tables are.

Just take the SQL from DT1 and union it with the SQL from DT2.

DT=Derived Table.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Skrandel,

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I used 2 DT, is because BO has a limit space to put your SQL statement.

So the only way to resolve my problem is to build a view in de RDBMS......... :-( (I have to ask the DBA)

I hoped there was another way because I have to build and release my report today to the users.....

Thanks.

Well, since you can build a union construction at the reporting end you can use two seperate DT's and fix things in query panel..

Ties Blom

Blom0344,

Thanks for your reply.

Bottem-line is that all those solutions are work arrounds because BO has put a limit to a DT.
I know, the right way is to build a View in the RDBMS, but why offer a solution in a product what I can't use ?

I have to join every DT with other tables to fully use them. So fix things in a query panel is also no solution to me.

With COGNOS I don't have this limit....... (sorry).

I have to join every DT with other tables to fully use them.

Which is exactly the solution that will work.
Create a context for each DT (consider them as facttable) and create a union in query panel. This is fairly basic stuff..

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back