Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Menu Service - Play entire greeting before menu choices permitted? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoneChick

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2002
CA
Does anyone know if it's possible to set up a menu service so that it will play the entire greeting before allowing any menu choices?

Not sure but hear is a cheat I can think of....

Record greeting as need then at the end mention "for our menu press 1"
Then setup deeper paths as your choices. i.e. 11 = Sales, 12 = service etc etc.

0 option can be disabled if need as well.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Thanks Curlycord for your suggestion! I thought of using an announcement service first then off to a menu service. The dilemma is that with either your suggested option or mine the user is able to select a menu choice as soon as it is heard, as they are not required to listen to all the menu choices. Not clear why our user group is interested in this - I will have to dig deeper and perhaps organize otherwise.

If there are new or existing options they want to promote, they may want to change the order in which they are read. Instead of press 1 for x, 2 for y, 3 for z, they change it to press 1 for z if thats what they want to get more use out of.
If people are pressing the first key because they assume that is the right choice, you may want to work on better descriptions of the available choices.

The Announcement Block in Application Builder has options to ignore digits pressed.
Don't see why your idea won't work if you disallow digits in the Announcement properties.

Thanks StanelySteamer

Apologies if unclear. Let me word it another way. They are looking for something like this:

"Thank you for calling ABC Company.
To dial by extension, please enter it now.
For our corporate departmental directory, press 2
For our address, press 3... etc"

What they want is to not allow any menu choices until the greeting has played in full, i.e., they should not be able to press 2 until they heard the rest of the greeting.

So insert an announcement block before the menu block. For the announcement prompt voice item use the entire greeting plus menu choices.
Under Key Handling Options in the Announcment properties uncheck " Accept Menu Keys" and "Accept Attendant key".
Then attach the Announcement to the Menu block. You could maybe use the same voice item for the prompt.

You will have to carefully word the greeting to let callers know they have to wait to make a choice. Even then I wouldn't recommend the idea. Voice menus are frustrating for callers, this will only make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back