Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mental block when it comes to subweb... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gusbrunston

Programmer
Feb 27, 2001
US
[tt]
Hi:

I am a reasonably competent person, and have managed a web site for about three years, more or less successfully. But for the life of me, I can't seem to get the concept of subwebs through my thick skull.

Our web site is The broker wants to add sales listings to the site, and I have suggested that it should be a subweb (my biggest mistake of 2004 to date!)

I don't know how to start and started I don't know how to finish and finished I don't know what to put in the browser address bar to find what I finished.

I understand that I create a new folder in the main web. Then I can convert that folder to a "web site." I assume that's the subweb. I can put pages in that folder. That's the end of what I've been able to figure out.

Can I publish the main web and include the subweb?

If my subweb folder is name "Listings" does that become part of the subweb address?

Is it: ?
or: ?
or: ?

FrontPage 2002 Help doesn't help me very much.

I would appreciate any guidance toward the right path.

Thanks in advance.[/tt]

[glasses][tt]Gus Brunston - Access2000(DAO)
Skill level based on 1-10: 7
Webmaster: www.rentdex.com[/tt]

[tt]
OK, I found the option to "include subwebs" on the publish form. So I enabled that, and published my main web.

I can access the page I put in the folder "Listings" with this address:

Now, is this indeed a subweb?

Thanks,[tt]

It is just a folder.. But if you right click on that folder & tell FP to convert to a sub-web, then it is a sub-web Also - you can open only that sub-web & publish that sub-web: as well.

- this is a sub-domain, rentdex is a sub-domain of listings.
- this is a sub-domain, listings is a sub-domain of rentdex.
- this is referencing a page (listings.htm) on the domain name rentdex.

Also be weary of naming the files / folders uppercase. This might cause some problems in the future.

[tt]
Dear Corey:

Thank you so much for commenting on my thread.

I have a folder (web) in my directory, ...Rentdex

In Rentdex, I have a folder "Listings" which I believe I have converted to a subweb...it has a web icon on the folder icon.

I have published Rentdex, with "include subwebs" checked

However, when I enter "in the address bar of my browser, I get that "Cannot be displayed" error page.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,[/tt]

What you desribed: is a sub-domain - not a sub-web. A sub-web is something mainly associated only with FP & not the internet.

Now if you go to: - the file is not found. If you go to: - you get a 403 error which means that the viewing of files is disabled - there is no index.htm file. Now if you go to: - you will see your file. (Remember the CAPS?)

[tt]
Corey, thanks so much.

I put off taking the caps out of the filenames. Will do right away.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,[/tt]

Anytime. If you are using themes or have a big web - sub-webs are pretty good because you can apply a different theme to different sub-web. Plus as you saw - the sub-web can be published published separately or conjunction.

If you are wanting sub-domain, you would need to contact your hosting to see if that support that.

[tt]
Yes, my web host supports subwebs.

I don't know how to publish the subweb separately, but I will attempt it, by trying to publish to and see if it works. If it doesn't maybe I will have to contact the web hosting service.

I still have some pages and images that include capital letters in their names. Is it important that I get all those out too? (See, my questions never end!)

Thanks,[/tt]

[tt]
I am continually in your debt.

Trouble is, I'm broke.[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back