Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memorycheck on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

31gerbe

MIS
May 12, 2002
NL
Hi,
i have a AMD k6 2 450 mhz cpu with 224 Mbram, this day I had a big problem so i had to reinstall windows 98. When this was done I restarted my computer, i noticed something was changed. After the phrase (on startup, in dos): AMD k6 .....cpu found(you will know this one)
the computer goes furter with testing the memory (mbram) this takes a lot of time. I think this is weird because before the big error and the reinstall of windows 98 the memory was checked much more faster. Now the testing takes about 30 to 40 seconds. This was only one or two seconds before the reinstall. Does somebody know how to make this faster again or can you skip it in one way or another (I mean the memorytest)?

Gerben (EEK)

This is a function of POST. And if it quit early it was because it didn't find good memory, or there was a memory glitch.

You can generally bypass the memory test with the [ESC] but you really don't want to do that.

I suspect that you have a memory problem, and if you let it stay on the system, it will come back and bite you bad. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Some computers have an option in the BIOS for "quick-boot" or "normal boot". You might want to enter the bios and see how it's set up.

Chris

hi,
i tried to bypass it via DOS but I couldn't find anything. But there was something that wasn't set right. I looked in the manual of my mainboard and there was stated that the sdram speed should be set to turbo. Well I did this, and now its going a bit faster (weird, because i thought that option was for something different) but when I pushed ESC the system rebooted. The second time I pushed ESC again and again the system rebooted. Then I thought let it check the memory and stay of the ESC button. Well it was weird but the system didn't reboot anymore and Windows loaded far more quicker.
I also checked the technical issue section in my manual. There was stated that if something didn't function right i had to download the new drivers for the chipset. Can this cause the problem I have a VIA MVP3 chipset.

Gerben

You will need to download and install the "VIA 4in1" drivers for your chipset.
Depending on your other perirherals ie. graphics card. You may have to pick an older version.

I would not think this would solve your stated problem, but is something you need to do anyway.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back