Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xpmessed

MIS
Nov 8, 2004
CA
Is it possible to fry a computer by putting a stick of SD ram into a computer whos mother board is set up for DDR ram?

I ask because this seems to be what happened to me. I had a stick of SD-RAM put into my computer and less then one month later my computer fried, I lost everything. I found out after the "Fire" that the stick that was added was a SD-RAM stick adn my computer was set up only for DDR-RAM stick, it did not have both slots like some today have.

Thanks

I don't think SDRAM will fit in a DDR slot. They are pinned different and keyed different. DDR is 184 or 240 pin and SDRAM is 168 pin. Did they use a hammer to install it?

Jim

...and less then one month later...

Nope, I'm sorry but that's just not possible. If an SDRAM stick was installed in your PC, and it ran fine for even a second, then that would mean that your motherboard has SDRAM slots - or that you had DDR-SDRAM to begin with.

Jim is also right. They are keyed differently to prevent this from happening. You would damage the memory slot noticeably long before you'd get it to fit.

Computers can fry for many reasons. Some of the most common are:

1) improper grounding (not using all 3 prongs from the power supply to the AC outlet)

2) power surge

3) faulty power supply (capacitors exploded)

4) short circuit (i.e. contact between the motherboard and case)

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back