Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory use

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdsterling

Technical User
Mar 3, 2005
US
I'm not sure if this is too off-topic: I recently maximized memory on my machine, and I find the indexes run much more quickly.

Backround: I am running Windows XP Home, dBASE V, and my main database is 2,300,000 records down from 2,675,000. Sometimes when I logout and close dBase, the computer seems to have to think about it for 30 seconds to two minutes, which always makes me think we are going to have a crash.

Does anyone relate to this complaint? Any information would be gratefully appreciate.

Regards,
P D Sterling
Dallas TX

Thanks for your post!
2thumbsup.gif

Yes, of course it does. Perhaps I was not clear enough. I have this database of all voters in 4 counties, approx 2.3MM records. I have it indexed by name, by address, and by certificate number.

After first boot, say I need to triangulate on a voter, so I need to change from index by name to index by address, I close the database in order to change the index order. At this point, the computer just decides it has to think about it, a bit.

BTW, if there is any connection, I am using XP Home SP2, and have no pagefile set up on the drive which contains all the data.

Anything you can suggest would be appreciated - this only happens when I am hard at work, and ill-disposed to having the problem happen.

Have you tried this methodology?
Code:
Use MailDatabase
Set index to NameIndex, AddressIndex, IDIndex

1st Process

Set Order To 2

2nd Process

Set Order To 1
This will reduce your file open operations to the minimum; one file open operation per client session.

Let me know how this does as I never really left the dBase III+ file structure before moving to Clipper.

Also, is this used in a multi-user environment?

Lyndon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back