Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory usage reaches 1GB and need a reboot at times

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhanley

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
I monitor resource usage and notice a steady climb in memory usage in Exchange 2000. Occasionally, I must reboot the system or client aren't able to launch. I get no useful events in the event logs that relate to this issue. Anybody have any ideas?

This happened to me a while ago, set page file size to 30 GB on a dedicated 40 GB HDD and problem dissapeared, but size continually increasing slowly, not a hard fix.

Thanks, DaemonSaDiablo. I have Exchange 2000 running on a dedicated box, a RAID 5 array, and 2 partitions. You specifically mentioned a dedicated drive. My question is whether setting the page file to use this partition offers any relief since it is the same logical disk?

Beleive it is a known problem.
Memory leak of store.exe
you can get a fix for this at ms site....

Petje
A+, MCP, MCSE on NT4.0 and windows 2000 with messaging specialty and CCEA

Thanks, Petje. I'll check it out. Have a good day!

The memory leak document says that SP3 fixes the problem. However, I'm running the latest SP and patches and my store.exe still uses as much memory as the server will let it. I've try the limiting of threads and other things as discussed on another thread here (search for "limit memory" in the Exchange 2000 area and you'll find them).

I'm starting to believe that the memory consumption is "by design". This is the company responsible for the RPC COM virus outbreaks we're talking about. ;)

Thanks CostaRica. Like you, I have the latest service pack and patches and store.exe still uses as much memory as the server will let it. I appreciate the link to more data. Have a nice day.

there are a couple of "other" things you can do to release the memory hogged by store.exe. You can install a 3rd party RAM utility like FreeMem or you can stop and then restart the exchange services occaisionally. I know that's not the optimal fix but I've used both temporary options at different sites with success.

Good luck,

FredUG

Thanks FedUG. Your suggestion is essentially what I've resorted to sans a 3rd party RAM utility. I'll investigate this option since I'm familiar with them from the "old days" of limited memory. Great tip! I certainly appreciate the time and effort you lent for your feedback. Take care.

My backup software allows me to specify a "pre" file to run before the backup executes. I simply created a batch file that stops then starts the information store service, and I have the backup run this batch file before the backup starts. This esnures that the memory usage get reset each night while everyone is out of the office.

Thanks mmendes. This solution is probably the most appropriate for my environment. I execute similar tasks on a couple of database services in my environment. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back