Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory test never ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am setting up my first AMD system and the memory test never ends but detects all of the memory and keeps starting over rechecking the memory. If I hit ESC to stop it then it does not boot but gives a blinking cursor and gives no error message and it will not even boot form the floppy.
I have tried new RAM as well as working RAM from another good system.
It detects all devices in the system and gives one quick and short normal beep during the POST but keeps reading the memory in an endless loop.

1. PC-133 MHz 256MB RAM (Amzor Micron Chipset), 168 Pin DIMM unbuffered, 3.3v
2. AMD Duron 1000MHz CPU, with proper AMD ready fan and heatsink and CPU thermal paste
3. ASUS A7V-E, 200MHz FSB Socket A mother board

All these equipment are new. Is AMD stuff just picky or am I doing something wrong? The BIOS setup program says it is defaulting to 100MHz as there is improper external CPU setting. I have tried every combination on the motherboard and on the bios for jumper and jumprefree setup. Can you help me - any ideas? Is it bad RAM?

Have you tried RAM in both slots? Checked BIOS chip is soundly pushed down? Read the motherboard manual for jumpers concerning memory. Seems to me your board is telling you something is wrong with the board settings for memory as you suspected. I would have a closer look at the BIOS settings, perhaps set it to lowest default setting. See if anything changes.

try the ram in a different computer. if it works there then you definitely know its not the ram and you can move on to try other things.

also if you have a friend or just another computer that you can use to try the processor i would try to test it somewhere else, just so you can check to see if you recieve that same error in bios.

another thing you can try is pulling out the battery on the mobo and putting it back in.

hope some of this helps

100fsb is the correct (standard) setting for an unclocked Duron processor, the 133fsb setting is for Athlons and XP's with 266fsb (2X 133=266 when used with DDRam)
So leave at 10x100 which will give you the 1 gig setting of your Duron. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back