Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

memory test caught in loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahc142a

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
GB
I'm upgrading a computer at the moment, i've stuck some bits and bobs in (including 512MB PC 133 RAM. There was some 32 meg in there already there which i left there. So all in all there should be 544 meg RAM. But what's happening is that when the computer starts up it goes in to a loop of some sort to test how much memory there is. It tests something like 10 times before coming up with about 262 meg RAM or something.

Excuse my lack of knowledge of hardware issues in advance, & please tell be as to why this could be happening ?

P.S. it's 168 PIN SDRAM DIMM

Thanx in advance

Take out the 32 meg if you have 512 anyways its pointless to have it in there as it will not be much of a help if you are running sdram check around you can find a 256 stick for about $50.00-$60.00.ddr will run you about $90.00 or so for a 256 stick.

True.. and the 32mb chip is probably not 133 SDRAM anyway so it would slow the system down... Also, check your motherboard manufacturer's web site or your manual... Make sure what the maximum supported RAM size is...

Let me know if I can give you a hand..

Matthew T. Jones
A+, I-Net+
mach2@brightok.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back