Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltw

Instructor
Nov 17, 2000
US

I have a mathematical application project in Visual C++ for a research at school. Sometimes the project needs to locate large memory space by "malloc()" functions. My machine has 128M memory. For some reason, the memory (fault) swap is kicked in after 26M of the memory is allocated by the system. Then it is extremely slow. I add another 128M RAM to the machine, and then it pushes the limit to 55M. But my project eventually will require 200M space (even more).

Microsoft people told me to use function "setprocessworkingsetsize" to set the physical memory size. For that, I have to install Window 2000. The function "setprocessworkingsetsize" works up to 136M. But the problem stays. When I use the memory more than 55 M (with 256M main memory), the memory swap begins just like before under Window 98.

I have more than enough main memory space. And what I really need is to set the physical memory size (or working set) to avoid the memory swap. Any suggestion?

Thanks for the attention.

Hi, I am not a programmer, Just a wild guess here. Assign a high priority to the theads your application is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back