Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory reporting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgs

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
GB
I have just built a new server with w2k server sp3.
It has 4.5gb of physical memory installed, but windows is only reporting 3.5. I haven't altered boot.ini with the PAE switch, so I would only expect 4gb to be reported, but whats happened to the other 1/2 gb?

The machine is a Proliant DL380 GS3

Is it Windows 2000 Advanced Server? If not, that's why you're not seeing it. FYI, there seems to be a bug where if you install SP3 before you edit boot.ini, Windows won't read the PAE switch on some systems. I had a server that I had to reinstall from scratch, insert the PAE switch, and then apply SP3. Again however, you must be running Advanced Server.

Matt J.

Sorry forgot to add a sentence in there. I believe because you have over 4gb, the os is a little freaked out, that's why its reporting incorrectly (if you're running regular server).

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back