Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

memory reporting error on Proliant DL380 G3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgs

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
GB
I have recently installed w2k server sp3 on a couple of these machines. They both have 4gb of RAM installed, but windows only reports 3.
I came across a microsoft article relating to the intel profusion chipset which reserves 256mb for memory-mapped I/O devices.
Is anyone aware of a similar feature on the serverworks grand champion le chipset?

As far as I know, the memory is reserved by the chipset for Hot Plug PCI slots. Don't know how much per slot, but it can take quite a lot of memory.
You can go into RBSU (F9 setup), under Advanced Options -> Hot Plug Resources
Has 4 options:
Disabled
Normal
Extensive
Auto Set (default)

Disabling it will free up the most memory, but I'm not sure how it affects the ability to hot-plug PCI cards.

There is an option in the System ROM to enable redundant memory - basically this uses one of the memory modules as a hotspare (similar to the way an array controller assigns a hotspare for a RAID disk set).

To turn it off Press F9 for the ROM Based Setup Utility and then select Advanced Memory Protection from the System Options menu - this will enable you to select the Advanced ECC Support (or Advanced ECC Support with Hotspare) - which I suspect is currently selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back