Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbouldin

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
US
I have a Giga-Byte GA-5SG100 mobo. I installed 256mg of SDRAM and it will only see 128mg of it. The manual says it will support this chip but I can find nothing about this problem in the manual or the BIOS.

There are issues with 256M SDRAM and the number of chips on the stick. Do you have 16 or 8 chips?

Here's what I pulled from
"The today’s market offers 256MB PC133 SDRAM modules built from 256Mbit chips, which are incompatible with the boards on some older chipsets. These modules are built with 8 chips (in case of no ECC support) and 9 chips (in case ECC is supported).
To the chipsets, which are unable to work with these 256MB memory modules belong:
VIA Apollo Pro133 and older VIA chipsets;
Intel BX, LX, EX and i810.
These modules are supported without any trouble by:
VIA Apollo Pro133A and newer solutions;
All AMD chipsets from AMD, VIA, SiS and ALi. However, we should point out here that ASUS K7V (VIA KX133 based) is said to be unable to work with these modules;
Intel 810E and Intel 810E2 and the entire Intel 815 family.
That’s why be careful when buying more memory for your PC. The best thing you can do, is to read carefully your mainboard user’s manual before buying a new module. Or you should stick to the 16-chip modules (128Mbit chips), which work everywhere for sure."

I have an AMD k6\2 300Mz processor, how do I figure out which chipset I have?

You can open the case and look at the motherboard or, try downloading Belarc Advisor ( It will give you a very handy inventory of your computer components including programs.

That is a neat program. However it only reads 128mgs of the 256mg stick. I also didn't see anything about the chipset.

jeffbouldin,
Is the 256MB stick dual-sided or single-sided? Older motherboards are more sensitive when it comes to this. "Dual-sided" (memory chips on both sides of the module) are more compatible and "less dense" than single-sided ones. The problem might be that the chip is too dense and that the motherboard cannot see the entire amount.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

It is single sided. My existing 64mg chip is singled sided, but I supose it is less dense so the system sees all of it.

Well since I bought the RAM from a friend for $10 I still came out ahead.

Yeah, you may want to consider buying "dual-sided" if you still want to upgrade your system. You'll get a noticeable difference in any OS going from 64MB to 256MB, so it might still be worth it to you.

If you go to you can find PC100 memory pretty cheap. Just be sure to buy a name brand (like Kingston, Micron, Crucial, etc). I saw a 256MB stick for as little as $27 from Kingston with free shipping. Of course, verify that it's dual-sided before you buy.

Also, older motherboards like the one in your situation might not be able to read large amounts regardless if it's dual or single sided. Your best bet will be to locate the make/model of your motherboard so we can check your specs. Not only will this help you determine how much you can get on each stick, but also whether you need PC66, PC100, or PC133. Chances are that your system came before PC133 was available.

Was this system custom built or from a vendor like Dell or Gateway?

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Custom built. It will handle upto 256. I have the 128mg, a 64mg, and a 32mg. 224 is alot better than the 64 I had. My hard drive might last a little longer now.

id try downloading sisoft sandra. they have a free version with limited access to what modules you can use but it will tell you everything on your mobo. goodluck ....jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back