Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

memory leak in 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox007ss

Technical User
Mar 1, 2003
AU
One of our servers keeps rebooting due to a memory leak, however i don't know which program is calling this, what's the best way to work out which program is calling this?

A memory leak will most certainly appear on the task manager. Go to the Process Tab and look at Mem Usage. Look for the process that is using up the most memory and monitor during the day

In task manager, sort for memory use, note programs which increment in memory use consistently, and do not give back the memory after the memory "garbage collection" cycle.
Time consuming but temporarily disable resident programs, one at a time.
One of the biggest offender on Win 2000 I have experienced is Veritas Backup Exec, at least the older versions (below 9.). If all fails, for a fee, Microsoft support will give you registry hacks (a lot of them), which worked on a couple of Win 2000 server dogs I deal with.
Good luck, as a consultant on hourly time, this is my nightmare.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back