Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dprello

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2002
US
Hello,

We have a server that is running a program that is using memory in quite a disturbing way. This server is an HP BL20P server with 2CPU and 4GB RAM.

The server's CPU and Disk utilization are constant. CPU is at 50%, Disk usage is low.

Memory Physical use moves up to 30% and then remains constant.
Memory Virtual use, after 3 hours raises to 80% and then remains constant.
Memory PageFile use, after 3 hours (during the same time as Virtual Memory) raises to 100% and remains there.

We have Windows managing the system page file.
We have a mirrored disk system, no alternative to add more.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I currently have an app combo that does the same thing (Compuware Vantage with SQL Server 2005). My server has 16GB and SQL is configured to use AWE. My pagefile peaks at 13GB even though I have plenty of avail RAM/cache.
It could just be your application is designed that way. As long as it has peaked and levelled off.

I've been in contact with the software vendor and they claim it their software is not supposed to act like this.

(They also claim it isn't a problem with their software)

The server ends up freezing up on us or lags down to a snail's pace.

I've put a call into Microsoft, I'll update this ticket with the solution (if it is a MS related problem).

have u by chance loaded WSUS ver 3 in the last month or so..

i was getting the same problem on 2 servers only to find it was that!!! still investigating though...i uninstalled it it seems to have calmed down.

hope this helps

"Practice makes Perfect"
CPO rt'd RN

Nope. WSUS is not installed on this application server. It is a Document imaging server.

It comes down to two processes the applcation uses. I've determined that these processes were installed incorrectly.

Once I reinstall the services/processes the correct way on the test server, I'm sure I will not have the same memory issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back