Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

kposey

Programmer
Mar 23, 2001
US
I need to know how to identify what kind of memory is in a system, without taking the cover off. I am trying to buy RAM for a family member, but i have no way to find out what kind the system uses. The PC is a couple years old, made by CompUSA PC(Home Series), and from what ive been told, has no model number.
-Ive tried going to CompUSA's website, but no such luck.
-Ive tried getting them to watch the screen as the computer
reboots, but evidently it goes to fast for them...
-Ive tried getting them to go to system information, hoping
it would tell me something, but i cant make heads nor
tails.
My family members are computer illiterate, so im hoping there is some easy program in windows that i can walk them through to let me know.

You cannot tell in Windows the type of RAM you have. You have to physically look at it to tell if is DRAM or SIMM. Then you have to physically look at the RAM to tell the speed( Usually listed on DRAM) or (If a SIMM) if its Parity or NON-Parity. But a lot of RAM Manufacturers did not put any Identifying #s on RAM. In that case you will have to take it to a dealer to get tested to see what it is.

Since your family is not familiar with computers I would suggest to them to take the computer into a dealer and have RAM "FITTED" to their computer by someone who knows (Unless you are willing to do it for them).

I hope this helps

try dxdiag its installed with directx it wont tell you out right which ram it is, but you can figure it out 1st it will tell how much ram it has and it will tell you the motherboard chip set you can then go to the makers site and see which memory that chip set supports thats about as close as i can get to what you asked for So long and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back