Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory hogged by small access application

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRH192

Programmer
Apr 25, 2005
GB
All,

I am trying to implement a small application in MS Access 2K on Win 2K. It consists of 3 forms (1 of which has a timer event that runs every minute), is not multi user, and sits directly on the C:\. It does interact with the networked drive to output text files to a certain directory when certain conditions are met. I could expand on the application but not sure it is relevant at this stage.

The problem that I am having (and it seems to be only on certain machines or possibly certain users) is that Access takes up lots of memory, causing other apps to load very slowly or not at all, while my app seems un-affected. If the user clicks quit in my application the app trying to load springs to life immediately. The user can then re-open my app and all seems to run fine from then on.

Its very frustrating as I can't re-create the problem on my own machine at work, so trouble shooting is near impossible. I also receive no error message so googling for it is difficult too.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Many Thanks

You have not given any information that we could diagnose your problem with. The code in the timer event might be a good start.

The size of your app has nothing to do with how much resources it uses. I can think of ways to eat up all your memory with 3 lines of code.

Joe Schwarz
Custom Software Developer

Sounds more like something is sending your CPU into spin dry rather than memory. You could try looking at a system when this is happening with Task Manager or better yet Process Explorer.

Go through the process you described of stopping and starting the app, and see what's happening on the machine.

_____
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Yes I think maybe it is the cpu actually. Hopefully I will get a chance to go and check this out today.

I have an update from one of my users. Apparently it is just other Microsoft applications that fail to start up as expected when my application is running. So Excell and othe MS Access applications stall. Does this change what the cause of the problem might be?

Here is the timer code by the way

Private Sub Form_Timer()
'*** Sub: Form_Timer
'*** Form: frmMain
'*** Description: function that runs on timer.
'*** Primary function is to check for admin stop file which will initiate automated shut down

'Set variables again incase lost
SetVariables

'Is there a stop file present?
If STOP_MODE = False Then
Dim fso As FileSystemObject
Set fso = New FileSystemObject

If fso.FileExists(Stop_File) = True Then 'Found a stop file
MsgBox "A STOP file has been created by an administrator." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "You now have 60 seconds to save the record you are working on and close the application"
'Set stop mode to true
STOP_MODE = True
'Set the count down timer to 60 seconds
Me.Caption = 60
'Change timer interval from 1 minute to 1 second
Me.TimerInterval = 1000
Else 'No stop file found
'Set/keep timer interval to 1 minute
Me.TimerInterval = 60000
End If

Set fso = Nothing

Else 'We are in stop mode
'Count down the timer from 60 to 0
Me.Caption = Me.Caption - 1

'When timer runs out, initiate shut down.
If Me.Caption = 0 Then
LUndo_Click 'Undo the current record
LNext_Click 'Quit
End If

End If

End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back