Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

memory for desktop motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFOJ

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
I'm repairing a computer for a customer. It's what I call a clone PC (actually it's labeled CISNET). One of the memory chips has failed. The original memory has a label "PC400". The customer added a PC3200 chip a couple of years ago, but the PC3200 chip has failed.

The motherboard is a "MSI N1996". When looking up this board the info indicates it can handle PC2100 with a max of 1GB.

I'd like to install the max (two 512's), but not certain what type of memory to purchase.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Can I ask a couple of questions of you,

What processor does it support?

What socket?

Are you sure the N1996 is the model number, because that number appears on alot of mainboards with a tick symbol next to it.. its known as a C-Tick mark and is required for australian compatibility.

See link:

Thanks!

Aeren Baker
PinkSlippa Studios

Thanks Pinkslippa for the clarification of the N1996. The actual part number on the motherboard is 865G/GVM3-V.

I went to MSI's website but no help there. Also couldn't turn up memory specifications for this board using google.

I'll have to get back witht he processor and socket info.

Again, thanks.

It's been posted in other threads in this very forum, already, but apparently you can download a tool from one of the memory manufacturers that will tell you what sort of RAM your board will take. Folks have used it for no-name boards, so I'm sure it'll work on an MSI board....

I think its Crucial...

Yep, here it is:

Give that a shot, if you can still boot the machine. If not, go to their main page, and see what you can get by plugging in the numbers/codes.

CPUZ will tell you exactly what each stick of RAM is - speed, type, manufacturer.
You could also just LOOK UP that motherboard on crucial.com and it will tell you everything you need to know. That's always my first stop for RAM determination. You don't have to run their program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back