Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory for a Proliant 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg4me

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2002
US
I have a quick question about the memory requirements for a Proliant 3000. Does the memory have to be installed in pairs? I have searched the Compaq site and can not find any information other then the install sequence.

Thanks for the help,
Ben

Yes, the memory does have to be installed in pairs on PL3000 servers. The two DIMMs have to be the same so for example you can't put one 128Mb and 1 256Mb in as a pair. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your prompt answer.
I thought that’s the way it had to be, but never the less I have to PL3000’s that are both running with odd number of DIMMs. Both have been working fine for the last four years. Seeing they have been working fine since before I started working two years ago, I never questioned it. Shouldn’t there be a message in the IML or a post error?

I guess it's just a Compaq recommendation?? -----------------------------------------------------

Never actually tried running odd numbers myself but I think it needs them installed in pairs for interleaving purposes. i.e. to speed up memory access.

I do know one odd quirk on the 3000 series... I tried installing 768MB of Compaq RAM, in the recommended sequence (and paired of equal size), and it booted and BIOS saw the memory but gave an error stating something to the effect of "The CPU cannot support the amount of RAM you have installed. System performance may be degraded."

The standard PL3000 series only supports 512Mb of RAM. If you add more, you get the error TheDameon has posted, or the thing just won't boot. -----------------------------------------------------

It depends on the generation of the ProLiant 3000 System Board. The first gen only supported PII 300 CPU's and 512 meg of ram. Second generation supported PII and the third generation supported PII and PIII and have heard rumours they will also hold Xeon processors.

They go by the BIOS, check it and see, that will give you an idea (E39 is the one that supports only 512 meg)

Yeah, and my company has loads of the E39's !!! -----------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm sure this will help.

PL3000 300-333MHz

The Compaq ProLiant 3000, 300 & 333 MHz server models have two seprate memory module locations. 4 DIMM sockets are located on the system board and 8 DIMM sockets are located on the memory expansion board. The total combination of 12 DIMM sockets are grouped into 6 memory banks. Two adjacent DIMM sockets make up on bank of memory. Memory banks are also identified on a label on the inside of the access panel. When adding memory, you must add an entire bank of 2 DIMMs at a time. Both DIMMs in one memory bank must the the same size and speed. All memory upgrade kits come with two DIMM modules. But any combination of different size memory kits can be used in the system.

For the best performance, DIMM banks should be added in the following order:

First: Bank 3 (as shipped)
Bank 1 (system board)
Bank 4 (memory board)
Bank 2 (system board)
Bank 5 (memory board)
Last: Bank 6 (memory board)

Memory Requirements for PL3000 400-600MHz

The ProLiant 3000 systems with 8 DIMM sockets on the system board, ship with the standard memory located in Bank 5. The optimal memory configuration for the Highly Parallel System Architecture is achieved when all memory banks are full, and the amount of memory is evenly distributed across the two memory controllers. This configuration maximizes the memory-access interleaving.

The advantages of large memory configurations to application server tasks, and the results of spanning the large amount of memory across two memory controllers will give enhanced performance compared to single memory-controller systems.

Up to 4GB of buffered SDRAM memory DIMMs can be added to the system board. Only buffered SDRAM memory is supported. Gold connector DIMMs are specified.

Optimal memory utilization is achieved by installing the DIMMs as follows:

1st DIMM – Factory Installed in DIMM Socket 8
2nd DIMM – Install in DIMM Socket 4
3rd DIMM – Install in DIMM Socket 7
4th DIMM – Install in DIMM Socket 3
5th DIMM – Install in DIMM Socket 6
6th DIMM – Install in DIMM Socket 2
7th DIMM – Install in DIMM Socket 5
8th DIMM – Install in DIMM Socket 1 HPaq

I just purchased 128mb or memory for my Compaq ProLiant 3000 it not only has to be in pairs but it has to be DIMMS Speed: min 60ns EDO – Buffered; gold - connector; 4K or 8K refresh rate DIMMS. And yes I said DIMMS twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back